Email, Calendar, and Mobile
Email is provided by Microsoft through Duquesne University's Office 365 subscription. Please check out some of our FAQs to get started.
How do I activate my account?
Your email account will be automatically created when you have been entered into our administrative system, Banner. As a student this will be when you have submitted your deposit. As a faculty, administrator, or staff member it will be when you are made active in Banner by Human Resources.
The password for this account is controlled by our MultiPass system. If you need to reset your MultiPass you can do that here: www.duq.edu/multipass
How do I access my account?
How long will I have my account?
Account deletion is based on your role here at the university. Please refer to the table below for final deletion date.
|Faculty & Staff||Access will be removed within 24 hours after your last day|
|Students||Accounts will be auto-deleted shortly after graduation|
How do I install Office?
Guides to Office installations for both Mac and PC can be found here: http://www.duq.edu/about/campus/computing-and-technology/software/office-suite
If you have any issues please contact the CTS Help Desk at 412-396-HELP (4357)
Are there any limits or quotas?
Most users should not experience any issues when using Office 365 but there are a few limitations to keep in mind.
|Quotas||50GB limit on mailboxes. (CTS will never send quota emails. Please check out: www.duq.edu/phishing for more information.)|
|Attachment Limitations||25MB limit. This can be circumvented by adding the file to OneDrive and sharing through this application.|
|Recipient Limit||500 recipients. Users sending to groups larger than 100 are advised to contact CTS to create mailings lists.|
How do I add email to my phone or mail clients such as Outlook or MacMail?
Mobile Phone and Client E-Mail Setup
Mobile phone and Client E-mail setups are typically straight forward, but you may be prompted for server information or port information. There are two servers that possibly host your email, if you have issues with one server please try the other. The port numbers correspond to the respective server.
You must choose Exchange as the mail option.
Client Setup Links:
(Note: Please do not setup account as anything other than Exchange!)
How do I forward my email?
CTS does not recommend forwarding email to ensure the deliverability of messages.
If you would like to have your Duquesne email forwarded to another account, please see our step-by-step documentation below:
Please remember to leave the box checked to keep a copy of the forwarded message in your Duquesne inbox.
Why am I getting locked out of my email?
How to troubleshoot constantly locking out accounts
If you have recently updated your MultiPass password and your account keeps locking out, please do the following:
I. Check your current phone
- Please check any phones and devices that pull email from their @duq.edu account.
- It may be best to remove the account and readd it if necessary.
- To see which mobile devices are connected to your email account, follow these instructions: Outlook Web Application.
II. Check Email clients on campus machines or personal machines.
- Have customers update their password on any email clients they use ( may include MacMail, Outlook 2011, 2013, or 2016).
- To see all Office subscriptions they've installed using their personal @duq.edu subscriptions, follow the instructions here.
III. Check any old phones, tablets, or computers for expired passwords. This may include, but not limited to, the following:
- Check Keychain access in Mac computers for stored duq.edu passwords and delete them.
- Duquesne-owned machines that may have been previously used but are not currently in use.
IV. Verify that they don't have any connected accounts.
- Connected accounts can be Gmail, Yahoo, or other email accounts that POP email from your @duq.edu email address using your MultiPass password.
- If your connected account (a Gmail account, for example) tries to pull mail from your @duq.edu account using an old password, this can lock your account out.
- To rectify this, you will have to login to your connected account online (gmail.com, yahoo.com, etc.) and update the password in your settings.
Calendars can be personal or global depending upon how they were created.
Personal calendars are created by an individual and can be shared easily by right clicking the calendar in Outlook Web Application (OWA), selecting "Share Calendar", then entering the email address of the person with whom you would like to share the calendar. You will then be prompted to specify their access (e.g. read or write). Editors can create and delete appointments.
Please Note: Personal calendars are not recommended for departmental use since they are attached to an individual account and will be removed when the account is removed.
Global calendars are requested by a full time faculty or staff member and can be found on the Global Address List.
To add a global calendar:
- Log into outlook.com/duq.edu.
- Look for calendar under the apps tile.
- Right click on "People's Calendars" or "Other Calendars" depending on how you want to categorize it.
- Select "Open Calendar" and type the name of the calendar into the "From Directory" field.
Please Note: Visibility of these calendars are dependent upon your designated permissions. If you are seeing "free and busy time" instead of appointments or are unable to create or remove events, you may need to have your permissions elevated and should check with the calendar owner about obtaining those permissions.
To request a global calendar, please email email@example.com or call us here at 412.396.4357.
Generic Email Accounts
Generic e-mail accounts are e-mail accounts in which the account name is not linked to an individual's name but is instead linked to a campus organization, club or department.
- Generic email accounts are created by our Systems team for use by faculty and staff
- Generic email accounts can be logged into here: mail.office365.com (You must sign out of you @duq account to access the generic)
- Generic email accounts also have a seperate suffix for logins @liveduq.onmicrosoft.com (ex. firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Departments should still publish and promote the @duq.edu emaill address. Mail addressed to @duq.edu generic addresses will be delivered properly.
- Generic email accounts can still be connected to clients and phone. Please see above for setup assistance.
Browsers may retain login information for your @duq.edu account and prevent proper login. Try another browser or clear cache and cookies to resolve any issues,
Mass Mailing Information (Lyris, Outlook)
When University departments need to send emails to a large group of people (more than 100), please notify the Help Desk during your planning phase. Do not send a large email via Outlook. We use Lyris distribution lists as our application for these purposes to avoid impacting network traffic.
People that intend on sending mass mailings should abide by the chart below to not cause unnecessary spam during peak use hours:
Population / Sending Time
Mail environment impact
Mail Client (i.e.Outlook, Mac Mail)
not queued, sends right away
large impact , not recommended
Lyris - email distribution lists
not queued, sends right away
small impact, recommended
We recommend reviewing the Best Practices pdf for sending to Lyris lists to avoid being flagged as spam.