Email, Calendar, and Mobile
Email is provided by Microsoft through Duquesne University's Office 365 subscription. Please check out some of our FAQ's to get started.
How do I activate my account?
Your email account will be automatically created when you have been entered into our administrative system, Banner. As a student this will be when you are deposited, as a faculty, administrator, or staff member it will be when you are made active in Banner by Human Resources.
The password for this account is controlled by our multipass system. If you need to reset your multipass you can do that here: www.duq.edu/multipass
How long will I have my account?
Account deletion is based on your role here at the university. Please refer to the table below for final deletion date.
|Faculty & Staff||Access will be removed within 24 hours after your last day||Access will be removed within 24 hours after your last day||Access will be removed within 24 hours after your last day|
|Students||Account will be auto-deleted 12 months after graduation||Account will be auto-deleted 12 months after graduation||Account will be auto-deleted 12 months after graduation|
|Retirees||Retirees of 10+ years will keep account indefinitely||Retirees of 10+ years will keep account indefinitely||Retirees of 10+ years will keep account indefinitely|
How do I install Office?
Please Note: These installations are for personally owned machines, for service and support with Duquesne owned machine please contact the help desk at 412-396-4357 or email email@example.com
Downloading and Installing Microsoft Office
The installation for these applications can be found within your @duq email and your subscription is tied directly to this account. Please see above for account deletion details.
6. Sign into your "Organizational account" using your @duq.edu email address. License for this product is tied to your email and will be removed when the account is deleted.
Are there any limits or quotas?
Most users should not expereince any issues when using Office 365 but there are a few limitations to keep in mind.
|Quotas||50GB limit on mailboxes. (CTS will never send quota emails. Please check out: www.duq.edu/phishing for more information.)|
|Attachment Limitations||25MB limit. This can be circumvented by adding the file to OneDrive and sharing through this application.|
|Recipient Limit||500 recipients. Users sending to groups larger than 100 are advised to contact CTS to create mailings.|
How do I add email to my phone or mail client such as Outlook or MacMail?
Mobile Phone and Client E-Mail Setup
Mobile phone and Client E-mail setups are usually pretty straight forward but you may be prompted for server information or port information. There are two servers that possibly host your email, if you have issues with one server please try the other. The port number correspond to the respective server.
Please remember to use the exchange option.
Client Setup Links:
(Note: Please do not setup account as anything other than exchange!)
Why is my account locking out?
If you have recently updated your MultiPass password and your email account keeps locking out, please:
I. Check Phones
- Check any phones for apps that pull email from your @duq.edu account.
- To view a list of all mobile devices that pull mail, please follow the instructions here.
- Note: It may be best to remove the email account from your phone and readd it if necessary.
II. Check Email clients on campus machines or personal machines.
- Update your password on any email clients that you use (may include MacMail or Outlook 2011, 2013, or 2016)
- To see all computers on which you've installed Office using your personal @duq.edu subscriptions, follow the instructions here.
III. Check old phones, tablets, computers for old saved passwords, this includes:
- Checking Keychain Access in Mac machines for stored duq.edu passwords and deleting them.
- Duquesne-owned machines you may have previously used but do not use anymore.
IV. Verify that any connected accounts aren't using your old MultiPass to pull mail.
- Connected accounts can be Gmail, Yahoo, or other email accounts that POP email from your @duq.edu email address using your MultiPass password.
- If your connected account tries to pull mail from your @duq.edu account using an old password, this can lock your account out.
- Note: To rectify this, you will have to login to your connected account online (gmail.com, yahoo.com, etc.) and update the password in your settings.
Calendars can personal or global depending upon how they were created.
Personal calendars created by an individual can be shared easily by right clicking the calendar in OWA and selecting "Share Calendar" then enter the users email address. You will be prompted for how much access you would like this user to have as well. Editors can create and delete appointments but full access only grants visibility.
Please Note: Personal calendars are not recommended for department use as they are attached to an individual account and will be removed when the account is removed.
Global calendars are requested by a full time faculty or staff member and can be found on the Global Address List.
To add a global calendar:
- Log into outlook.com/duq.edu.
- Look for calendar under the apps tile.
- Right click on "People's Calendars" or "Other Calendars" depending on how you want to categorize it.
- Select "Open Calendar" and type the name of the calendar into the "From Directory" field.
Please note: Visibilty of these calendars is dependant upon your permissions. If you are seeing "free and busy time" instead of appointments or are unable to create or remove events you may need elevated permissions and should check with the calendar owner about obtaining those permissions.
To request a global calendar please email Help@duq.edu or call us here at 412-396-4357.
Generic Email Accounts
Generic e-mail accounts are e-mail accounts in which the account name is not linked to an individual's name but is instead linked to a campus organization, club or department.
Mass Mailing Information (Lyris, Outlook)
When University departments need to send emails to a large group of people, (more than 100) please notify the help desk during your planning phase. Large mass emails can obstruct the flow of normal email during peak use hours. Do not send a large email via Outlook. We use Lyris distribution lists as our application for these purposes to avoid impacting network traffic.
People that intend on sending mass mailings should abide by the chart below to not cause unnecessary Spam during peak use hours:
Population / Sending Time
Mail environment impact
Mail Client (ie.Outlook, Mac Mail)
not queued, sends right away
large impact , not recommended!!
Lyris - email distribution lists
not queued, sends right away
We recommend reviewing the Best Practices pdf for sending to Lyris list to avoid being flagged as spam.