Center for African Studies
Reviving and expanding the vision of an earlier Institute of African Affairs, the new Center for African Studies at Duquesne University is the key academic unit charged with assisting the University in realizing its academic goals regarding sub-Saharan Africa. Through its engagement with members of the University's academic and co-curricular community who have experience and interests in Africa and the African diaspora, as well as with African Institutions, Colleges and Universities, the Center will participate in shaping a shared strategic vision in the University's engagement with Africa.
The Center of African Studies promotes Duquesne University's constructive engagement with Africa through teaching, scholarship and service. It strives to create and encourage opportunities to experience the many rich African traditions and cultures from interdisciplinary and multicultural perspectives.
- To create and promote interdisciplinary academic programs in African Studies.
- To provide community engagement opportunities for faculty and students in Africa.
- To encourage and support research opportunities in African Studies.
- To engage the university community in critical discussions through invited speakers and other events on issues related to African Studies
- To facilitate and support agreements between Duquesne University and academic institutions in Africa.