Simon Silverman Phenomenology Center
The Simon Silverman Phenomenology Center, founded in 1980, is the representation of the phenomenological orientation of Duquesne University. The Philosophy and Psychology departments at Duquesne University share a tradition of work in phenomenology.
The Simon Silverman Collection at Gumberg Library acquires books in all fields where a phenomenological approach is used or criticized:
- purchased and donated holdings in phenomenology and philosophy as well as geography, music, ophthalmology, pedagogy, law, and nursing
- four alcoves including the entire personal libraries of Erwin Straus, Stephan Strasser, Aron Gurwitsch and Amedeo Giorgi as well as the five collections of Jan Bouman, Charles Maes, Rolf von Eckartsberg, André Schuwer, O.F.M., and Edward L. Murray, C.S.Sp.
We are constantly adding new books to our collection, please take a look at our most recent acquisitions. If you have any requests or suggestions to add to our collection, please let us know.
In addition to the Collection, the Center hosts conferences and symposia to explore and expand upon the phenomenological aspects of varied topics, events and people.
Past discussions have included:
- the turn to religion in phenomenology
- phenomenology, cognition and neuroscience
- music and phenomenology
- phenomenology and its critics
October 16th - 2:30PM - 5:30PM - Graduate Students in Philosophy (GSiP) Colloquium
October 30th - 2:30PM - 5:30PM - Graduate Students in Philosophy (GSiP) Colloquium
November 6th - 2:30PM - 5:30PM - Philosophy Speaker Series - DIDIER FRANCK - (Université Paris Ouest Nanterre La Défense)
November 13th - 2:30PM - 5:30PM - Graduage Students in Philosophy (GSiP) Colloquium
November 20th - 2:30PM - 5:30PM - Philosophy Speaker Series - NICOLAS FERNANDO DE WARREN - (KU Leuven, Director of the Husserl Archives)
December 4th - 2:30PM - 5:30PM - Philosophy Speaker Series - Mark Anderson - (Belmont University)