Benefits to Partners
When properly designed, service-learning partnerships offer substantial benefits to everyone involved. Community partners who participated in the interview project felt academic community engagement benefitted the organization and/or clients in the following ways:
- Access to eager volunteers who are well-prepared and frequently bring several skill sets from their technical training within their major;
- An opportunity to shape students' values and prepare them for a life of civic engagement;
- Additional diverse perspectives for participants, which often provides a point of contact as a college student or American for participants who were unlikely to attend college or are new to the United States;
- An opportunity to mentor and inspire students interested in establishing non-profit organizations;
- Additional resources for service and outreach, i.e., capacity building; and
- Increased awareness about the CBO's programs and services.