English as a Second Language (ESL)
Improving English Language Skills
English as a Second Language (ESL) Program offers classes in speaking, listening, reading and writing skills to help students improve English. It enhances their readiness to enroll in university degree programs which require English for academic study.
ESL Program Profile
The ESL program at Duquesne has many aspects which benefit students.
- Accredited by the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation (CEA) and approved by government and private sponsors around the world.
- Classes at beginning, basic, intermediate, and advanced levels in either intensive (20 hours per week) or semi-intensive (16 hours per week) programs.
- ESL Program student services, including on-site tutors, conversation partners, field study trips to locations in Pittsburgh, and ESL academic advisors.
- Customized for students who:
- Plan to enroll in or are already conditionally accepted to a university after
completing the ESL Program at Duquesne University
- Are accepted to an academic degree program at Duquesne University but
whose English still requires improvement
- Want to study only English as an ESL Only, non-degree student.
Helping Students Meet their Goals
ESL classes are offered as part of Duquesne University programs in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on the same schedule of classes as Duquesne University with flat-rate costs. These additional services will help you in your studies and life at Duquesne.
- Office of International Programs (OIP) providing pre-arrival information, issuance of F and J student visas, and comprehensive international student services including arrival orientation.
- On-campus housing available through the entire calendar year, home stay opportunities with U.S. families, and referral services for off-campus housing.
- Duquesne University Student Life events, activities, and organizations offering excellent opportunities to meet US students and practice English.
- Faculty members, at both doctoral and master's degree levels, experienced in teaching English to speakers of other languages (TESOL) and assisting learners.
Please review this site to learn more about our program. We will be happy to answer your questions.