Dr. Richardson has been at Duquesne University 12 years. She comes with expertise in clinical practice that ranges from cardiology to geriatrics to psych mental health and is board certified as both a Family Nurse Practitioner and Gerontological Nurse Practitioner. She has published on a variety of both clinical and educational issues. She keeps current with institutional and clinical practice issues by practicing as a nurse practitioner with a Cardiology group at the Washington Hospital in Washington, PA. Her research has involved looking at psychosocial issues in patients with heart disease. Courses taught range from undergraduate to doctorate level including pharmacology, evidence based practice at all levels of nursing, epidemiology, advanced practice role issues, and nurse practitioner management courses.
Areas of interest include advanced practice advocacy issues, spirituality, and a broad scope of issues in the clinical arena relating to patient centered care. Dr. Richardson obtained her BSN at the University of Alabama, with her graduate degrees including PhD and soon to be DNP (Psychiatric) at the University of Pittsburgh. Dr. Richardson was one of the first faculty members nationwide to teach in an online nurse practitioner program. She has served on national committees with the American College of Cardiology advancing nursing's agenda and currently serves on the Pennsylvania policy, advocacy, and education council. Her goals will keep her active in clinical practice, as well as with advanced practice issues facing the community and advancing nursing education.
St Jude Medical. Co-Principal investigator: Bradycare observational study. Starting Date 5/2010-Present.
Frazier Hart, INC. WHPO, Washington, PA
Ongoing research team member: Optimizing Bi-ventricular Pacing in Patients with Heart Failure. Clinical Research, 2008-Present. Selected studies include:
- Investigation of monitoring performance in adherent cardiac telemetry (IMPACT 1 study) (Corventis)
- Accurate Registry: Accurate follow up using victory on Merlin (Scientific Studies, St Jude Medical)
- Freedom: A frequent optimization study using quick opt method (St Jude Medical)
- Optimal Programming to Improve mechanical indices, symptoms, and exercise in cardiac resynchronization. Scientific studies (St Jude Medical).
Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA
Dept. of Neuro-science Research
Associate Investigator in 2 ongoing protocols: Principle Investigator: Robert Rubin, MD, PhD, 2004
- Hormone Rhythms: Metabolic Significance in Depression: Use of Physostigmine in depressed patients and normal controls.
- ACTH dose/response study in depressed patients and normal controls
Lived Experience of Nursing Students Participating in a Standardized Patient Clinical Simulation to Evaluate Clinical Competence in a Distant Education Program. A qualitative study/project at Duquesne University School of Nursing. 2008
Treatment of Peptic Ulcer Disease and Gastro-esophageal Reflux Disease, in Pharmacology: Connections to Nursing Practice (Adams and Koch). Pearson, 2010.
Publications - Last 5 years
Richardson, L. & Puskar, K. (2012). Screening for Depression and Anxiety in Primary Care. Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 8 (6), 475-481.
Richardson, L (2012). Changing behavior through Motivational Interviewing: A form of ministry. Journal of Christian Nursing, 29 (1), 18-24. DOI:10.1097/CNJ.0b013e318238e510
Radiation exposure and diagnostic testing. Journal of the Academy of Nurse Practitioners, 32(4), 178-184.
Richardson, L., Resick, L., Leonardo, M., & Pearsall, C. (2009). Undergraduate students as standardized patients for assessing APN competencies. Nurse Educator, 34 (1): 12-16.
Richardson, L (2008). Review of ACC conference 2008. Editorial. Cardiology, 37 (7): 17.
Presentations - Last 5 years
- Motivational Interviewing: Helping people change. Oral presentation, Parish Nurse Organization Annual Conference, Pittsburgh, PA. Nov 2010
- Rightsizing your practice: Role of the NP in a Cardiology Practice, PA-American College of Cardiology Annual Conference, Nemicolin, PA., Oct. 2010.
- Childhood health and the Parish Nurse. Oral presentation. Parish Nurse Organization Annual Conference, Pittsburgh, PA. Nov. 2009
- Leadership: Role of the Parish Nurse. Oral presentation. Parish Nurse Organization, Pittsburgh PA. May 2009
- Motivational Interviewing: A Primary Care Perspective. Poster Presentation. American Academy of Nurse Practitioners. Nashville, Tennessee. July, 2009
- Heart Failure: Evidenced based care. Oral presentation at the Pennsylvania ACC conference. Hershey, PA. May 2009.
- Cardiac Rehabilitation and the Heart Failure Patient. Oral presentation at Washington Hospital , PA for the Three Rivers Society for Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (3RSCVPR) March 2009.
- Evidence Based Pharmacology for patients with HF. Oral presentation at the SWPA Nurse Practitioner Organization conference. Pittsburgh. Feb. 2009.
- Heart Failure: Prevention, Primary Care, Acute Decompensation. Pennsylvania Nurse Practitioner Organization annual conference. State College. November 2008).
- Radiation exposure and diagnostic imaging: Essentials for NPs. Poster presentation at the national American Association of Nurse Practitioners. Washington, DC. (June 2008).
- Heart Failure Update 2007. Oral presentation at the regional American College of Cardiology conference. Nemicolin, PA. October 2007.
- Atrial Fibrillation 2007: An increasing public health concern. Oral Presentation at the National American Academy of Nurse Practitioner conference. Annapolis, IN (June, 2007)
- Standardized Patient Clinical Simulation to Evaluate Clinical Competence in a Distant Education Program. Oral presentation at the National Organization for Nurse Practitioner annual meeting: Denver, CO (April 2007).