Paula Sammarone Turocy, EdD, LAT, ATCAssociate Professor
Rangos School of Health Sciences
Education:EdD, Curriculum & Instruction: Medical Curriculum, University of Virginia, 1994
MA, Sports Medicine, Michigan State University, 1984
BS, Athletic Training & Health and Physical Education, West Chester State College, 1982
- ATHT 303 - Art and Science of Athletic Training I/Lab (team taught)
- ATHT 402/L - Nutrition and Weight Management/Lab
- ATHT 407/L - Physiology of Exercise/Lab
- ATHT 410 - Athletic Training Practicum III
- ATHT 430/L - Principles of Research/Lab
- HLTS 502 (01) - Independent Study (Graduate)
- REHS 700 - Dissertation
- REHS 701 - Dissertation
Dr. Turocy's areas of academic specialty include:
- Athletic Training
- Exercise Physiology
- Health Promotion
- Conditions of the Spine and Sacroiliac
- Curriculum Design and Evaluation
Gorse KG, Radlef MR, Turocy PS, Frazer GH. "Southwestern Pennsylvania Youth Baseball Health and Safety Study." -Pennsylvania Athletic Trainers' Society Research Grant (2004).
Allegheny County Safe Kids, Inc., Turocy PS. "Emergency Action Planning - Assisting parents and community activity leaders in the development of a plan," - National Safe Kids, Inc and National Athletic Trainers' Association (2003).
Platt LS, Turocy PS. “An Analysis of the Leadership Skills and Abilities, Professional Attributes, and Teaching Effectiveness in Athletic Training Clinical Instructors,” – Pennsylvania Athletic Trainers' Society (2001).
- Eastern Athletic Trainers' Association, Inc. Cramer Award - 2011
- Duquesne University 2010 Staff Award - The DU Wellness Team - 2010
- National Athletic Trainers' Association, Inc. - Grass Roots Award for Athletic Training Month - (Group Award) - 2010
- Paula Sammarone Turocy Scholarship NATA Research and Education Foundation - Endowed by NATA, Inc. District Two - 2009
- Pennsylvania Athletic Trainers Hall of Fame - 2008
- National Athletic Trainers' Association Sayers "Bud" Miller Athletic Training Educator Award - 2004
- National Athletic Trainers' Association Most Distinguished Athletic Trainer Award - 2004
- National Athletic Trainers' Association, Inc. Service Award - 2002
- Pennsylvania Athletic Trainers' Society Distinguished Merit Award - 2001
- Duquesne University Teacher of the Year (Omicron Delta Kappa Award) - 1999 (Nominee - 2001)
- Who's Who in American Women - 1994-1997
- Who's Who in American Education - 1995, 1999-2008
- Who's Who in Health Sciences Higher Education - 2003
Dr. Paula Sammarone Turocy, ATC is one of the three founding faculty of the athletic training education program, that program's first Program Director, and the first Chair of the Department. She also was the inaugural Anna L. Rangos Rizakus Endowed Chair of Health Sciences and Ethics for the John G. Rangos, Sr. School of Health Sciences. Dr. Turocy received her doctorate in education with an emphasis in medical curriculum from the University of Virginia. While at the University of Virginia, she also served as the Administrative Assistant to the Associate Dean of Education and Doctoral Fellow in the Office of Admissions. Prior to her work at the University of Virginia, Dr. Turocy received her master's degree from Michican State University where she also served as a graduate assistant, and her Bachelor of Science degree with teaching certification (K-12) from West Chester State college. She has held academic appointments at the Old Dominion University, University of Pittsburgh, Eastern Kentucky University and Penn State University-Scranton. In addition to her academic experience, Dr. Turocy has done over one hundred professional presentations and has a number of professional publications.
Dr. Turocy brings with her a wealth of "hands on" clinical experience as an athletic trainer. She was the Head Athletic Trainer for Volleyball, Swimming and Diving, and Gymnastics at the University of Pittsburgh; Head Women's Athletic Trainer and Assistant Athletic Trainer for Football and Basketball at Eastern Kentucky University; and Head Athletic Trainer at East Lansing High School in Michigan. Further, Dr. Turocy worked as a member of the US Olympic Medical Staff for the World University Games in Zagreb, Yugoslavia in 1987; the US Olympic Festival in 1986; and was a member of the US Olympic Committee's Elite Athletic Sports Medicine Network. Lastly, she also had graduate and undergraduate student athletic training experience at Michigan State University, where she worked with football and gymnastics, and served as head athletic trainer at East Lansing High School, and West Chester State College where she worked with football, basketball, soccer, wrestling, lacrosse, swimming, and baseball. She currently serves as a consultant to the Duquesne University Department of Athletics to assist with patients/athletes with nutrition, weight management, sacroiliac and spine concerns.
Dr. Turocy, a Pennsylvania Hall of Fame Athletic Trainer, was the inaugural Chair of the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education, the specialized national accreditor of Athletic Training education programs. Formerly, she served as Vice Chair and commissioner for the CAAHEP JRC-AT (Commission on the Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs - Joint Review Committee on Athletic Training), District II Director for the NATA Research and Education Foundation, and was the liaison to the NATA Education Council, Degree Task Force, and Entry-Level Education Committee Education Council, as well as a member of the NATA Vision Quest Executive Committee and Terminology Task Force. She was the founding Chair of the EATA John G. Moyer Award and a former President of the Pennsylvania Athletic Trainers' Society (PATS). She also has served as a BOC Test Site Administrator and member of two Role Delineation Study Panels. Finally, Dr. Turocy also was the PATS liaison to the Pennsylvania Parent and Teachers' Association and was a member of the Executive Board of the Allegheny County Safe Kids Coalition. She currently is a member of the NATA Vision Quest Implementation Committee and District 2 Consumer Education Committee. She serves on the Editorial Boards for the Journal of Athletic Training and the Athletic Training Education Journal.