Dr. Maher received both his bachelor's degree and Pharm.D. from the University of Pittsburgh (-93 and -97). Dr. Maher's completed a Geriatric specialized residency at Duke University's Center for the Study of Aging and the Durham Veteran's Affairs Geriatric Research Education Center. Dr. Maher's areas of clinical expertise are in geriatric pharmacotherapy, advanced independent community clinical pharmacy practice and ownership.
1.) PHPRC 465- Selected Topics in Geriatrics (elective)
2.) PHPRC 466- Long Term Care Course (elective)
3.) PHBMS Dyslipidemia Lecture on Marketing and Planning in Disease State Management
4.) PHBMS 427-1 BMS Pulmonology/Oncology Weekend Program - Lecture Respiratory
therapeutics and Course Master
5.) PHPR 447-01: Pharmacy Practice V Clinical Business Planning
6.) PHBA 310 American Healthcare System
7.) PHBA 431 Entrepreneurship in Pharmacy (elective)
8.) PHBA 432 Pharmacy Entrepreneurship Business Competition
9.) PHPR 479 Clinical Preparation in Community Pharmacy Practice
10.) PHPR 489 Branding of a Clinical Community Practice
11.) Duquesne University APHA MTM Training Coordinator
12.) NCPA Advisor
13.) Advanced Community Pharmacy/Ambulatory Care Physician Practice Clinical Experiential
1. Maher R, Hajjar E. Medication Errors in the Ambulatory Elderly. Aging Health. 2012 8(2):127-135.
2. Thorpe CT, Lassilla HC, O-neil C, Thorpe JM, Hanlon JT, Maher R. Reconsideration of Key Articles Regarding Medication Related Problems in Older Adults from 2011. AJGP.2012;10(1):2-13.
3. Kotlyar M, Gray SL, Maher R, Hanlon JT. Chapter 46. Manifestations of Medications in the Elderly. I: Agronin ME, Maletta GJ. Second Edition. Principles and Practice of Geriatric Psychiatry. Philadelphia: Lippnicott Williams & Wilkins;2011.
4. Maher R. Introduction to Specialty Pharmacy. Pharmacy First Reading Course C.E.
Publication. June 2009.
5. Hanlon JT, Handler S, Maher R, Schmader KE. Geriatric Pharmacotherapy and
Polypharmacy. In: Fillit H, Rockwood K, Woodhouse K. (Editors), Brocklehurst's Textbook of Geriatric Medicine. 7th Ed. London, UK: Churchill Livingstone 2008
6. Rossi MI. Young A. Maher R. Rodriguez KL. Appelt CJ. Perera S. Hajjar ER. Hanlon JT. Polypharmacy and health beliefs in older outpatients. American Journal Geriatric Pharmacotherapy. 5(4):317-23, 2007 Dec.
7. Aspinall S. Sevick MA. Donohue J. Maher R. Hanlon JT. Medication errors in older adults: a review of recent publications. American Journal Geriatric Pharmacotherapy. 5(1):75-84, 2007 Mar.
8. Maher R A Pharmacist Approach to Wellness Maintenance in the Community Elderly Journal of Pharmacy Practice 2004 17: 133-136.
9. Maher R The Pharmacological Approach of Behavioral Disturbances in Dementia
Journal of Pharmacy Practice 2004 17: 129-132
10. Keys PA, O'Neil C, Maher R. Geriatric Concentration: A New Elective Sequence in an Entry-Level Doctor of Pharmacy Program. Am J Pharm Educ. 2004; 68(1):article 7.
11. Maher R -Dermatophytosis' for the 5th Edition Pharmacotherapy Casebook 2004, editor Terry L. Schwinghammer, Pharm.D., FASHP, FCCP, BCPS
12. Hanlon JT, Lindblad CI, Maher R, Schmader KE. Geriatric Pharmacotherapy . In: Tallis R,Fillit H, (Eds.), Brocklehurst's Textbook of Geriatric Medicine. 6th Edition. London, UK:Churchill Livingstone 2002
13. Bowles SK, Maher R, Spelman K. Pharmacology and Medication Toxicity Emergencies. In:Snyder DR, Christmas C, (Eds.), Geriatric Education for Emergency Medical Services. Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett Publishers' 2003
14. Aspinall MB, Whittle J, Aspinall SL, Maher RL, Good CB. Improving adverse-drugreaction reporting in ambulatory care clinics at a Veterans Affairs Hospital. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2002;59:841-5.
15. Hanlon J, Maher R, Lindblad C, Ruby C, Cohen HJ, Schmader K. Comparison of Methods to Detect Potential Adverse Drug Events in Frail Elderly Inpatients and Outpatients. Am J Health-Syst Pharm 2001; 58:1622-6.
16. Poirer T, Maher RL "Adverse Drug Reactions" in the 2nd Edition of the Encyclopedia of Pharmaceutical Technology. 2000
17. Maher RL. ' A Case Study in Geriatric Pharmacy Care- U.S. Pharmacist March 2001
18. Maher, RL. Withdrawal symptoms after discontinuing medications in elderly patients.Durham Veterans Affairs Pharmacy Newsletter, 1998.
19. Maher,RL. Drug therapy for agitation and aggression in Dementia. Veterans Administration Medical Center-Oakland,Pittsburgh Pharmacy Newsletter, 1996.
2010 Pennsylvania Pharmacist Association Preceptor of the Year Award
2002 Pennsylvania Pharmacist Association Distinguished Young Pharmacist of the Year Award
2000 Duquesne University School of Pharmacy Dean Merit Award
1996 Rho Chi Honor Society
1993 Pfizer Pharmaceutical Community Pharmacy Internship Award
American Society of Consultant Pharmacists 1995- present
American College of Clinical Pharmacy 1995-Present
American Geriatrics Society 1999-Present
National Community Pharmacists Association 1990- Present
American Association Colleges of Pharmacy 2000-Present
American Pharmacy Association 1992-Present
Pennsylvania Pharmacist Association Present