Support for Teaching Online at Duquesne University
Educational Technology and The Center for Teaching Excellence partner in supporting faculty who are ...
creating an online course for the first time or
moving an existing course into the online environment
Consultation (for individual faculty or programs)
- Consultation on the overall course design and learning objectives, CTE
- Guidance on selecting methods and tools for online teaching, Ed Tech
- Training on best practices for online teaching and Educational Technology tools, Ed Tech
- Completion of the Online Course & Module Map, a course design worksheet, CTE + Ed Tech
- Introduction to the Duquesne Quality Online Course Rubric for reviewing course quality
- Review of a previously taught course
Faculty who are teaching online, may follow the attached guidelines for designing and building an online course. This process will vary for each faculty member.
Resources and Tools
- Online Course & Module Map
- The Overall Course Map portion is an at-a-glance view of your course articulating course learning objectives and their relationship to the larger curriculum and disciplinary standards.
- The Module Worksheet portion is used to map the following:
- Course learning objectives
- Learning resources
- Interactive instructional methods & student-learning tasks
- Assessment of learning
- Expected student time on task
- Duquesne Quality Online Course Rubric
- The purpose of this rubric is to guide faculty in creating and reviewing the quality of online courses. It uses two categories: effective and exemplary.
- This rubric articulates good practice in online teaching, including:
- Instructional Design
- Course Design
- Engagement and Communication
- Assessment of Learning
- Learner Support
- Educational Technology Training
Ed Tech provides three modalities for training- Face to Face, Self-Guided Tutorial (online, self-paced course) or Webinar (through Blackboard Collaborate).
They offer sessions regarding both course design & best practices as well as how to use various Blackboard Tools. Click here to view the training calendar and/or sign up for a training session.
Keep in mind that all of these opportunities are available to individual faculty and to groups.
|Educational Technology||Center for Teaching Excellence|