Online Writing Center for School of Leadership Students
The Duquesne University Writing Center has an Online Writing Center specifically for distance School of Leadership and Professional Advancement (SLPA) students where you can meet online, one-on-one, with a trained writing consultant to talk about your writing.
Consultants work with writing throughout your writing process, from outlines and notes to drafts and revisions. They help with brainstorming, thesis statement development, global revision and organization, grammar, citation, and other concerns. You do not need to have a completed paper to visit the Online Writing Center. All you need is a writing task and a willingness to engage actively in conversation about your work.
The Writing Center is not an editing or proofreading service. Consultants do not correct or complete your writing for you. They offer a teaching service. It is more effective if you learn from your mistakes, and we want to help you become more capable and confident in your writing.
Sessions are 45 minutes and are by appointment.
As a distance SLPA student, you should select “Online SLPA” from the drop-down when making an appointment. You will need to scroll down to access this schedule.
Sessions are held in the Online Writing Center Blackboard site (look for the link to Online Writing Center, SLPA, 2012-2013) in a Collaborate classroom. You will be enrolled in this site when you begin the program. Please note that writing center services are only available during posted hours.
Detailed instructions for participating in a session are provided on the Blackboard site.
To Participate in a Session
To participate in a virtual consulting session, you will need a headset with a microphone. This allows you to talk for free. Prior to your session, you will receive an email with the URL to click on to access the Collaborate classroom. Please enter the Collaborate classroom the day before your session and run the setup wizard to ensure your computer has the necessary plugins and updates.
For Additional Information
The fastest and best way to get answers to your questions or concerns is to contact the appropriate person. If you . . .
• Need help scheduling an appointment, please contact the Writing Center: 412-396-5209 | writing center at duq.edu | Schedule an Appointment
• Experience problems with Colaborate, please contact Collaborate support: 1-877-382-2293
• Need to be enrolled in the Blackboard site, please contact Mark Prestopnik: 412-396-1319 | prestopnikm at duq.edu
• Experience problems with Blackboard, please contact the CTS Help Desk: 412-396-4357 / 1-888-355-8226 | bbsupport at duq.edu
• Have questions about the Writing Center’s services, please contact the Director, Dr. Jim Purdy: 412-396-1293 | purdyj at duq.edu
We look forward to working with you at the Online Writing Center!