Admission to the Program
The transformation of the practice of educational leadership that is required to confront the educational problems of the 21st century requires the exponential increase of capacity that comes from diversity. Therefore, we seek to form cohorts of aspiring educational leaders that represent diverse professional experience and expertise. Each cohort will be formed deliberately to comprise school-academy-community (SAC) partnerships.
Consistent with the notion of SAC Partnerships, we invite applications for doctoral study from professionals who have worked in schools as well as from professionals whose work has been community-based (e.g., non-profit professionals, evaluators, legislative professionals, community organizers, educational designers, publishers, consultants, among others). School professionals and community professionals will join faculty to form cohorts that represent SAC partnerships. The common characteristic of all successful candidates for the program will be a demonstrated commitment to improve schools by securing equitable educational opportunity for all learners.
Applications (the Graduate School of Education Application and the ProDEL Application) should be submitted online. Curriculum vitae or resume can be uploaded and attached to the application. Official transcripts should be mailed to the addresses below. All materials must be received by January 15. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Successful candidates will possess minimally the following credentials and characteristics:
- Master’s degree in education or related field from an accredited graduate school.
- Minimum graduate GPA 3.5
- Professional and/or academic evidence of commitment to the improvement of schools.
- An understanding that the improvement of schools is a matter of social justice.
- A commitment to participate in the cohort-based program of study, including online participation and up to 2 consecutive full days (Friday and Saturday) per month during fall and spring semesters, and two weeks during summer sessions.
- Complete the online application form for the Graduate School of Education
- Complete the online ProDEL application form (Please note that there are several questions that will require an answer of 250 words or less. It is suggested that you review these questions, complete these questions in Word and then copy and paste them into the application. You can print a pdf of the questions here)
- Submit official transcripts from undergraduate and graduate study
- Submit the names of three referees who will write a letter of recommendation that focuses on your personal, professional and academic qualifications for the professional doctorate in educational leadership
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume (please upload & attach to the ProDEL application)
- Participate in a series of telephone and onsite interviews
Official transcripts should be mailed to:
School of Education – ProDEL Program
Room 405, Canevin Hall
600 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15282
|January 15||Application deadline for admission|
|May 1||Applicants notified of acceptance|