A A Email Print Share

Frequently Asked Questions

Are there graduate assistant positions?

Master's students can find a list of available graduate assistant positions throughout the university.

What degrees are offered?

The program offers a Master of Science in Education (M.S.Ed.) in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (60 credits), Marriage and Family Counseling (60 credits), School Counseling (60 credits), and School Counseling for Certified Teachers (36 credits). We also have a Postmaster's Program that offers endorsement for school counseling certification, and the opportunity to obtain any needed credits to become a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC).

How is the program structured?

The three master's programs which are CACREP accredited, Clinical Mental Health Counseling, Marriage and Family Counseling, and School Counseling, are 60 credits. Sixty (60) graduate credits are required for licensure as a professional counselor (LPC) in Pennsylvania and in most states. In accordance with program's accreditation by the Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP), the program includes a 3 credit (100 hour) practicum and 6 credits (600 hour) internship, and these fieldwork requirements also satisfy the requirements for licensure as a professional counselor (LPC) in Pennsylvania and most states. The School Counseling Program for Certified Teachers is 36 credits, which includes a 100 hour practicum, and a 420 hour internship.

What if I already have some graduate credits from another program?

A student may transfer in up to 12 credits of courses taken at another university. The student must have received a grade of B or better for the courses to qualify.

What if I already have a Master's Degree?

The Counselor Education Program has a Postmaster's option, which offers endorsement for Elementary (grades K-6) and Secondary (grades 7-12) School Counseling Certification, a Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study in a counseling specialty area, and the opportunity to take additional graduate credits to meet the academic requirements for licensure as a professional counselor (LPC). (Please see "Post-Masters Program Procedures" on our webpage.)

Where is the program offered?

The Counselor Education Program is housed in the School of Education at Duquesne University, and is part of the Department of Counseling, Psychology and Special Education (DCPSE).

When are classes offered?

Classes are offered during the weeknights. During the fall and spring semesters, one 3-credit class meets one night a week, and the vast majority of the classes are from 6:00-8:40 pm. During the summer semester, classes are usually from 5:00-8:40 pm, and one 3-credit class meets 3 nights a week, Mondays-Wednesdays.

Will I be able to maintain my full time job while in the program?

Courses are offered in the evenings enabling many students to maintain half-time or full-time employment to accommodate the employed student.

How long does it take to complete the program?

Students may complete the program within 2 years, which involves completing 9-12 credits per semester for 2 fall semesters, 2 spring semester, and 2 summer semesters. Students have up to six (6) years to complete the master's program. Six credits per semester are considered full time, though a student may take more or less credits with advisor approval. No more than 12 credits can be taken in any semester.

How often are students admitted?

Students can apply to enter all of the master's counselor education programs (e.g., Clinical Mental Health Counseling, Marriage and Family Counseling, School Counseling, and School Counseling for Certified Teachers) in fall and spring semesters. The application deadlines are for the fall and spring semesters are listed on the application procedures webpage.

What skills will a student develop?

Our students are trained in a number of counselor competencies, ranging from personal characteristics such as social responsibility and professional presentation, to clinical skills such as assessment, theoretical operations and ethical decision making, to case management and application of technology.

What are the admission requirements?

Applicants whose Quality Point Average (QPA) is less than a 3.0 on a 4-point scale for their last degree (e.g., bachelor's or master's) will have their transcripts reviewed by the School of Education to determine if the applicant's QPA is less than a 3.0 for their last 48 credits. If the applicant's QPA is less than a 3.0 for their last 48 credits, then the applicant will be informed by the School of Education that they must submit official scores for either the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). For the GRE, students can take the general exam; no subject tests are required. Students can take the MAT or GRE at any location. To obtain a description of the MAT along with test-taking strategies and a free study guide please visit Pearson Education's website. Students can register for the GRE on the ETS website. There is no minimum required score on the MAT or GRE for the Master's Counselor Education programs, as the Program considers a variety of factors (e.g., QPA, personal statement, recommendations, interview) in their admissions decisions.

There is no minimum QPA for applying to the Master's programs in Clinical Mental Health Counseling and Marriage and Family Counseling, and School Counseling for Certified Teachers. In accordance with the requirements of the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE), applicants to the Master's program in School Counseling must have a QPA of at least 2.8 in their last 48 credits (bachelor's or master's).

What is the admission process?

1. Complete the University Application. International applicants must visit the Office of International Programs for their application and procedures.
2. Complete the Counselor Education Master's Degree Application.
3. E-mail the Academic Recommendation to a former or current professor.
4. E-mail the Professional Evaluation and Recommendation form to a professional familiar with you, your academic potential, or work experience. If you cannot access some of these links, such as the Counselor Education Master's Degree Application, the Academic Recommendation form, or the Professional Evaluation form, we recommend that you try using an alternative browser such as Firefox, Safari, or Google Chrome, and obviously please ask your recommenders to do so as well. If you continue to have problems, please contact Mrs. Sughrue at sughrueb@duq.edu.
5. Mail official transcripts for all undergraduate study to:
Mrs. Kelly McGinley
Graduate Office
Duquesne University
School of Education
600 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15282

What are my financial aid options?

All financial aid matters are handled through the University's Financial Aid Office, (412) 396-6607.

What is CACREP?

All three of the master's programs within the Counselor Education Program are accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP). CACREP accreditation indicates that the Program has a rigorous curriculum and provides comprehensive fieldwork supervision. The regulations for Licensure as a Professional Counselor (LPC) and certification for school counselors in most states is based on the CACREP model, and graduates of CACREP programs are better able to obtain licensure or certification when moving to other states. Some states require that applicants for licensure or certification have graduated from a CACREP accredited program. Graduates of CACREP programs are able to apply to be a National Certified Counselor (NCC) while in the last semester of study; this can save the graduate two years of post-master's experience.

How do I obtain certification as a school counselor?

The school counseling major provides the necessary coursework and fieldwork required for the Pre-K-12 school counseling certification in Pennsylvania, and the program also meets the academic requirements for school counseling certification in most other states. In addition to completing the program, graduates must pass the Praxis II-Professional School Counselor (0421).

How do I become a Licensed Professional Counselor?

The most accurate information about licensure as a professional counselor (LPC) can be obtained from Licensure Board for Professional Counselors. Our program is designed to meet the academic requirements for the LPC. Additional requirements for the LPC include passing the National Counselor Examination (NCE) and obtaining 3,000 clock hours of supervised experience by an eligible supervisor.

Is there a fieldwork component for the master's degree in counselor education?

In accordance with CACREP requirements and the requirements for licensure as a professional counselor (LPC) in Pennsylvania, students in the 60 credit programs complete a 3 credit, 100 hour practicum, and a 6 credit / 600 hour internship. The practicum is completed in one semester. Students may complete the internship in one semester, or they have spread the 600 hours over two semesters. The 36 credit School Counseling Program for Certified Teachers has a 100 hour practicum, and 420 hour internship which may be conducted over two semesters.

What makes the program special?

• CACREP accreditation

• Counselor education degree which is required for licensure as a professional counselor (LPC) in some states, including Ohio and Virginia. Graduates of counseling psychology programs cannot obtain the LPC in these states.

• Small to average class sizes

• Students have the option of full- or part-time matriculation. Full-time students may graduate within two years (2 fall, spring and summer semesters).

• Duquesne University has a national and growing reputation.

• The Counselor Education Program Faculty members are active practitioners and researchers who identify with the counseling profession.

• Students may select from various mental health agencies and school districts in choosing a fieldwork site.

• The university campus is adjacent to downtown Pittsburgh and yet has a distinct identity.

• Diverse student body