A A Email Print Share


Is funding available?
Doctoral students can apply for a graduate assistantship. Students are eligible for student loans. There are also opportunities to receive tuition remission for supervising Duquesne counseling masters’ students.

What are the important factors in admissions decisions?
The program considers a variety of factors in evaluating applicants, which include graduation from a CACREP master’s program, work experience, research interests and potential, GRE scores, recommendations, personal statement, individual and group interviews, etc. We have accepted students who had a low GRE score but scored highly on these other criteria.

What are the employment opportunities for graduates of the doctoral program?
Many of the graduates of the doctoral program are employed as faculty members in master’s and doctoral level counseling programs and supervisors and directors of mental health and human services agencies.

What if my master’s degree is not from a CACREP accredited program?
There is a preference for graduates of CACREP accredited programs but we work closely with graduates of non-CACREP programs to ensure that they fulfill the CACREP standards as part of their doctoral studies.

Can I apply to the doctoral program before I have a master’s degree?
The Ph.D. Program accepts applicants who are close to completing their master’s degree, and such applicants may be accepted conditionally until they officially obtain their master’s degree. In accordance with CACREP requirements, we cannot accept students who have not yet completed the 8 core CACREP areas.

What if I have master’s in social work, psychology, or another related field?
In accordance with CACREP requirements, applicants must have completed coursework in the 8 core CACREP areas.  Please e-mail your contact information and an unofficial copy of your master’s transcript to the Doctoral Director, Dr. Jered Kolbert.  He will review your transcript to identify what additional coursework you would need to satisfy this CACREP requirement.

May I obtain licensure as a professional counselor (LPC) or a licensed clinical psychologist (LCP)? 
Students who did not obtain licensure as a professional counselor (LPC) following their master’s program may satisfy the educational requirements for LPC in Pennsylvania by completing the doctoral program. Graduates of the doctoral program are not eligible for licensure as a psychologist (LCP) in Pennsylvania or in most other states.