MS Early Level PreK-4
The Graduate Leading Teacher Program in Grades PreK-4 is designed for college graduates who are seeking Instructional I certification in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Upon completion and application for certification they will be qualified to teach in PreK-4 classrooms. The program of study leads to a Master of Science in Education and meets the requirements for initial certification to teach Pre-kindergarten through 4th grade in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Professional Standards as described by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) and the Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI) will be addressed during the coursework and experiences in the program. The Leading Teacher Program (LTP) in PreK-4 is designed to prepare leading teachers for early learning environments, preschool through 4th grade. Throughout the program candidates will have the opportunity to develop classroom and professional development skills by participating in the holistic approach to teaching using effective practice teaching methodology as well as participating in field/community based experiences that will provide the candidate with guided field experiences.
The LTP in PreK-4 is a 43 credit program that consists of courses and experiences organized into three major area of study: Foundational Courses, Diverse Populations and Instruction, and the Professional Core. The program includes focused attention in the areas of Social Justice, Diversity, and Technology.
The School of Education Graduate programs are accredited by the Pennsylvania Department of Education and the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. This accreditation extends to the preparation of PreK-4, Middle level and Secondary school teachers and school service personnel, with the Doctor of Education degree as the highest degree approved.
A Master of Science in Education degree in the area of PreK-4 Education is designed for:
- Professionals seeking background and preparation leading to initial teacher certification.
- Certificated early childhood teachers
- Professionals seeking a leadership position as a program director, early learning center administrator, curriculum designer, a consultant to parents, educators, corporations or government, or a public administrator.
For those students enrolling in the Graduate PreK-4 Program, a 25% discount is being offered. Please visit the Graduate Admissions website for additional information.
Graduates with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college, university or seminary will be considered for the admission to graduate study in the School of Education by complying with the details outlined. General admission is based on an applicant's previous academic record as shown by official transcripts of all previous study. Additional information is available at Application Requirements.
Please visit our Course Sequence page to learn more.
The graduate PreK-4 program requires each candidate to complete thirty (30) hours of observation in an early childhood(B-PK) and early elementary(K-4) setting. Learn more by visiting Field Experience.
The candidates must meet the following guidelines to be eligible to apply for graduation:
(1) Successful completion of all coursework
(2) A cumulative quality point average of a minimum of 3.00 overall GPA
(3) Successful Completion of Student Teaching
(4) Successful Completion of Exit Interview and Portfolio
(5) Completion of the application for graduation
(6) Completion of the application for Pennsylvania Teacher Certification
(7) Recommendation of the Certification Officer of the School of Education