Basic Skills Testing Options
Mixed Score Option
You are required to pass the Basic Skills Tests for Sophomore Gateway and certification, you may combine reading, writing and mathematics module scores from different test providers to meet the basic skills requirements. You must meet the passing score listed for each module. A composite score is not available when scores are mixed.
- Effective March 2016, candidates may combine individual tests from different vendors to meet the basic skills requirement. The policy is retroactive for all open applications.
- A score of 500 or higher in each individual section - Critical Reading, Writing, Mathematics. There is no composite scoring option.
|SAT||Minimum Score Per Section||Minimum Combined Score|
|SAT Critical Reading, Mathematics, & Writing (prior to 3/1/16)||Critical Reading - 500||1500|
|Mathematics - 500|
|Writing - 500|
2. The American College Test (ACT)*
- Tests taken prior to September 2015 require a composite score of 23 accompanied by a combined English/Writing score of 22 or higher and a Math score of 21 or higher.
- Tests taken after September 2015 require separate scores of Reading - 22; Mathematics - 21; and Writing - 21.
|ACT||Minimum Score per Section||Minimum Combined Score|
|ACT English/Writing & Mathematics (prior to 9/1/2015)||English/Writing - 22||23|
|Mathematics - 21|
|ACT English/Writing & Mathematics (after 9/1/2015)||Reading - 22|
|Writing - 21|
|Mathematics - 21|
*Request Official Test Scores - SAT or ACT
If Duquesne University did not receive your official test scores directly from the testing vendor, then scores must be obtained from College Board or ACT. Scores that were submitted to Duquesne via your high school transcript are not considered official, per PDE.
- Please follow the step-by-step instructions when contacting CollegeBoard or Act.
- Official test scores must be sent to the student in an envelope sealed by the vendor. Do not have them sent to Duquesne University.
- Students should forward their unopened, official scores to the Student and Academic Services office in 214 Canevin Hall, attention: Lisa Patrick.
3. PRAXIS/ETS CORE Academic Skills for Educators
As of June 20, 2014, PDE released a new option for an assessment of basic skills given by Educational Testing Services (ETS).
Scoring: Straight or Composite Methods
|ETS/CORE Academic||Test Number||Straight Passing Score||Minimum Composite Score|
Composite Score Method for CORE Tests: If the sum of your reading, writing & mathematics total 467 or higher
4. Pre-service Academic Performance Assessments (PAPA)
- Scoring: Straight or Composite Methods
|PAPA||Test Number||Passing Score||Minimum Composite Score|
Composite Score Method for PAPA Tests: If the sum of your reading, mathematics & writing modules total 657 or higher AND each module's core meets the minimum composite score above, you meet the basic skills requirement.
*A score of 174 from candidates accepted into an educator certification program prior to 8/31/2016.