Clearances: Act 33 (Child Abuse) / Act 34 (Criminal History) / Act 114 (FBI) / TB Test
In accordance with the Pennsylvania Department of Education and all School Districts who host Field Experience and Student Teaching Experience Students, the School of Education will now require that all students submit each of their clearances (Act 33/Child Abuse, Act 34/Criminal History, Act 114/FBI, and TB Testing) to the Office of Student and Academic Services ANNUALLY during their academic career at Duquesne University.
It is extremely imperative you follow these new guidelines, so that you do not face one or all of the following consequences:
- Student with outstanding clearances will not be permitted to register for courses.
- Student will be removed from Education courses if not in possession of current clearances.
- Student will lose Student Teaching Placement if not in possession of current clearances.
To submit your updated clearances, please bring the original or a copy of your current clearances to Ms. Cindy Cafaro, 214 Canevin Hall. If you are unsure if your clearances are current, please call the Office of Student and Academic Services at 412.396.6093.
This policy is being implemented to conform to the policies of local school districts in accordance with the Pennsylvania Department of Education. Clearances are required for the safety of school children, and also for the adults who interact with them. Different school districts may have differing renewal policies; however, our policy must cover all possibilities. We understand that the need to renew each of the clearances multiple times might cause concern to students and their families. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the Office of Student and Academic Services at 412.396.6093 or by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your understanding and adherence to this matter.
Act 33 Child Abuse History Clearance
Effective December 31, 2014
- The Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance application can be submitted online.
- Create an account or log into the Child Welfare Portal Note: You will need an email address to create an account.
- Use your permanent address
- Pupose of the Clearnace - check: School Employment
- Fee: $10
- Creating an account and submitting your clearance application online will give you immediate access to your results or the status of your results, if your results cannot be processed immediately.
- Print your clearance and bring a copy to the Office of Student and Academic Services in 214 Canevin Hall.
- Paper submissions of the Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance application (CY113) will still be accepted for anyone who may not have access to the internet.
- Use your permanent address
- Purpose of the Clearance - check: School Employment
- Fee $10 - Paper Application: Money Order (no cash or checks) payable to "Department of Public Welfare" - send it to Childline and Abuse Registry address in the box at the top of the form.
- Processing Time: approximately 3 weeks
- When the clearnace is processed and returned to you by the Department of Public Welfare, keep the original and bring a copy to the Office of Student and Academic Services in 214 Canevin Hall.
ACT 34/Criminal Record Check
Directions for completing the form:
- Online Application: Pennslyvania Access to Criminal History
- Go to the page "Submit A New Record Check"
- Read through "Terms and Conditions", and click the "Accept" button
- Complete the form, and at "Reason for Request", make sure to go to "Education"
- You will be prompted to pay $10 by credit card
- If you wish to mail in your request and check, go to the top left hand of the screen under the "Help" menu, and download the SP4-164 Form.
- Please bring a copy to the Office of Student and Academic Services in 214 Canevin Hall.
ACT 114/FBI Clearance
The fingerprint-based background check is a multiple-step process:
- The applicant must register prior to going to the fingerprint site. Walk in service without prior registration will not be provided at any fingerprinting location. Registration is completed online or over the phone. Registration is available online 24 hours/day, seven days per week at www.pa.cogentid.com. Telephonic registration is available at 1-888-439-2486 Monday through Friday, 8am to 6pm EST. During the registration process, all demographic data for the applicant is collected (name, address, SSN, etc.) there is no data entry required at the fingerprint collection site.
- The applicant will pay a fee of $28.75 for the fingerprint service and to secure the Criminal History Record. Applicants may make their payment online by using a credit card or debit card. Money orders or cashiers checks payable to Cogent Systems will be accepted on site for those applicants who do not have the means to pay electronically. No cash transactions or personal checks are allowed.
- You must choose the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) option once you link on to the Cogent website.
- The fee as stated above includes an automatic mailed unofficial copy of results directly to each applicant.
- Please bring the unofficial copy to the Office of Student and Academic services in 214 Canevin Hall.
This test can be done at Duquesne University Office of Health Service (2nd Floor, Union; 412.396.1650), or can be administered by your physician.
If you do it at the Office of Health Service, the cost is $15 and you must bring a copy of the report to 214 Canevin Hall. If you do it at your primary physician, please have them fill out the TB Form and bring a copy to the Office of Student and Academic Services in 214 Canevin Hall.
You must be available to receive a shot, and then get examined within 48 hours for accurate records, so please make sure you schedule your appointment with this in mind.