Mission & Vision Statements and Strategic Plan for 2014 - 2019
In support of the missions of Duquesne University and the John G. Rangos, Sr. School of Health Sciences the Department of Speech-Language Pathology has adopted the following Mission Statement, Vision Statement, and Goals.
The Department of Speech-Language Pathology inspires student and faculty discovery through the dynamic interaction of learning and research. The Department values cultural differences and the needs of individuals, models ethical leadership and practice, and supports the objectives of fellow faculty, staff, and students. Carefully integrated academic and clinical experiences unite contemporary theories, current principles, cutting edge technologies, and best practices to prepare students as successful speech-language pathologists in a culturally diverse and globalizing society. With an emphasis on coordinated academic and clinical education, commitment to personal excellence, and continued scholarly and professional development, graduates of the Duquesne University Department of Speech-Language Pathology are highly qualified to meet the challenges of today and tomorrow.
The faculty strive to mentor students to be independent thinkers accountable for their professional decisions and to foster students as emerging scholars and leaders in the practice of communication sciences and disorders. Embracing diversity, we endeavor to be a culturally competent faculty and student body. We seek to promote the scholarly and clinical presence of the department in the life of the University and communities-at-large.
1. Students will become independent thinkers and learners.
2. Students will become culturally competent.
3. Faculty will be recognized as experts and leaders in our discipline, university and community-at-large.
4. Distinctive and innovative programming will be explored.
5. The department will regularly evaluate the adequacy of resources. Recommendations for prioritizing use of existing resources will be made and, as needed, strategies for accessing new resources will be developed.