The Allegheny County Law Library is a free, public law library open to the public.
Become a Library Card Holder Today!
With the approval of the Law Library Committee and the Board of Governors the following circulation fee structure as been implemented:
An annual borrowers' fee will be charged to each user for checking out library materials for home or office use. The amount of fees charged is consistent with the norms practiced by other similar public law libraries in the country (e.g. Minneapolis, Seattle, and San Diego).
The borrowers' fee structure is based on the premise that resea0rch performed by one attorney in an organization benefits the entire company. Therefore, law firms and corporate legal departments are thus required to pay the annual borrowers' fees for the total number of attorneys in the company, if it intends to check out library materials from ACLL and Duquesne law libraries.
Schedule of Annual Borrowers' Fees
- Attorneys of Allegheny County (both private and governmental):
Firm Size Fee:
X-Large (101 +) $7,500
Large (61-100) $5,000
Medium (25-60) $2,500
Small (1-24) $100/attorney
- Attorneys outside of Allegheny County: $150 per person.
- General Public of Allegheny County: $100 per person.
- General public outside of Allegheny County: $150 per person.
- Judges (federal, state, and local) will not be required to pay borrowers' fees. Other governmental law departments are not excluded.
Borrowers' Privileges and Services
The library has implemented a single, online catalog and circulation system for both libraries.
- Card holders may borrow materials at both Allegheny County Law Library and the Duquesne University Center for Legal Information.
- Checked out materials may be returned to either library location.
- Check out up to seven books at a time.
- ACLL and DCLI materials are checked out for 14 days
- ACLL materials are fined at $1 per day late
- DCLI materials are fined at $.50 per day.
- A patron who loses checked-out material(s) must pay the market value of the material(s), plus a processing fee of $50 per book.