Laptop Exams Timeline
For students who wish to complete their final exams using their own personal laptop, the Law School uses a software product called "SofTest" created by the ExamSoft company. This web-based system is also used by the PA Bar Exam. All Laptop Exams are completely optional as you can always take any exam using a Blue Book.
SofTest works by securely locking down each student's laptop and only providing access to a basic word-processing program in which to type the exam (Wifi connectivity, access to files and folders and/or external media are all disabled while an exam is in progress).
Please follow these steps carefully to ensure a successful Laptop Exam experience:
Watch for a
Sent to your @duq.edu
about 3 weeks prior to exams
Monday April 14
- Read and understand the Registrar's Memo and General Examination Policies and Procedures
- Each semester, use the time before the Practice Exam week to Read and Perform Preliminary Computer Maintenance. Watch for new information. DO NOT SKIP THIS IMPORTANT MAINTENANCE STEP AND DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST DAY. Computer problems take time to resolve and are not acceptable excuses. You must report any unresolved difficulties to Cameron Sparks (MAC) or Dayna Power (PC) BEFORE the Friday April 25 @ 3:00pm deadline.** We recommend Windows 7 and above or Mac OS X 10.6 and above. Windows XP, Vista and Ipads are not supported at this time.
- New Users must follow Software Installation & Registration instructions on your laptop - you will need your 6-digit Exam ID to start the software. Windows users must use FireFox or Google Chrome.
Watch PC Instructions
Watch MAC Instructions
- Returning Users - software updates have been automatically downloaded. You only need to download the Practice Exam during the practice week.
- Familiarize yourself with the Practice Exam Instructions.
- Learn how to change your Power Management settings and turn your Virus checking software off and on.
- Test and verify that your laptop will connect to DuqNet this semester.
Monday April 21, 2014
@ 8:00 a.m.
Friday April 25, 2014
@ 3:00 p.m.
You have 5 days to
complete a 30 min. task
- NO EXCUSES -
- Practice changing your Power Management settings and turning OFF your Virus checking software.
- Print or link from a second computer or cell phone to the SofTest Installation Verification Form BEFORE you take the Practice Exam. Limited printed copies are available at the Law Library front desk.
- Launch the software from your desktop SofTest icon and
- Take the Practice Exam by retyping ALL the text from the SofTest Installation Verification Form. Type your current contact information. This is how we should contact you in case there is a problem during your actual exams. Use this time to practice the typing features.
Do not submit junk text or blank pages.
This will not qualify.
Try to take the practice exam at the Law School so you can also verify your network connection. You should receive a green confirmation screen and e-mail with a successful upload.
- Turn ON your Virus checking software until the next exam.
Watch Practice Exam Instructions
Tuesday April 22, 2014
9:00 a.m. - 6:15 p.m.
Thursday April 24, 2014
9:00 a.m. - 6:15 p.m.
If you are unsure of the instructions,
Cameron and Dayna will be available in the Student Lounge Area to walk you through the Practice Exam.
Additional support is also available from ExamSoft
(866) 429-8889 or firstname.lastname@example.org
IF YOU DO NOT UPLOAD THE PRACTICE EXAM BY
Friday April 25 @ 3:00 p.m.
YOUR EXAM WILL NOT UPLOAD
YOU WILL NOT BE PERMITTED TO USE YOUR LAPTOP FOR EXAMS
AND MUST WRITE YOUR EXAMS USING BLUE BOOKS.
Wednesday April 30, 2014
Before taking your 1st exam
- Run SofTest and select the option to Download Exams.
If you have successfully completed all of the required steps by the deadline above, you will see your actual exams and you are ready to take your exams using your laptop. No further action is required until your actual exam time.
- Review the information for taking Real Exams.
- Stay calm and study.
Friday May 2, 2014 Exams Begin
- Arrive at least 15 mins. early for your exam to check your wireless connection and start from a fresh boot up (not just lifting the laptop lid).
- Check your Power Management settings. and turn OFF your Virus checking software before the exam.
- Remember your files are being backed up ever 60 seconds.
- Limited support is available in Room 304 before and after scheduled exams. Stay in your exam room until you receive the green confirmation screen after the exam has been uploaded.
- If you experience an upload delay longer than 5 mins., move the laptop to Room 304. Your computer may need restarted.
- Do not leave the building without receiving the Green confirmation screen and e-mail.
- Turn ON your Virus checking software between exams.
Dayna Power 412-396-1536 email@example.com Cameron Sparks 412-396-1059 firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTICE: There will be limited support once an exam begins. Do not delay installing the software or taking the Practice Exam. You will not be permitted to use your laptop if you miss the deadline dates set by the Registrar.
Students must follow the steps above if they wish to use a laptop for exams. It is the student's personal decision to utilize the laptop exam option. The school is not liable for any problems that may occur to the student's laptop as a result of the installation and use of the software.