Laptop Exams Introduction
For students who wish to complete their final exams using their own personal laptop, the Law School uses ExamSoft/SoftTest (this web-based system is also used by the PA Bar Exam). All Laptop Exams are completely optional as you can always take any exam using a Blue Book.
ExamSoft works by securely locking down each student's laptop and only providing access to a basic word-processing program in which to type the exam (Wifi connectivity, access to files and folders and/or external media are all disabled while an exam is in progress).
Please follow these steps to ensure a successful Laptop Exam experience:
- Look for an email and/or memo from the Registrar’s Office or IT Department before the exam period with information regarding laptop exams.
- Perform the Preliminary Computer Maintenance steps each semester. Please do not skip these steps.
- If you haven’t already done so, download and install the SofTest software to your laptop. (click here for laptop requirements. You will need your Exam ID for this step)
- Pick up your 6-digit Exam ID at the Registrar’s office between April 15 9AM and April 19th 1PM (2013).
- Download and Complete a Practice Exam between April 15 @ 9:00 a.m. and APRIL 19th @ 4:00 p.m. The practice exam takes less than 30 minutes to complete and is required each semester to use your laptop during Exams. You must report any computer issues to the Law School's IT staff Before the deadline. Computer issues are not acceptable excuses.
- From Monday, April 29th to the time of your first exam, download your real exam files.
- Review and Comply with any additional requirements of the Law School Faculty, Registrar, and/or Administration.
Students must follow the steps above if they wish to use a laptop for exams. It is the student's personal decision to utilize the laptop exam option. The school is not liable for any problems that may occur to the student’s laptop as a result of the installation and use of the software.
Also of interest: Law School General Policies & Procedures for Examinations