Faculty Scholarship and Service
|A. Publications||[Top of Page]|
2013 Math/CS publications:
o Merenstein, D., D'Amico, F., Palese, C., Hahn, A., Sparenborg, J., Tan, T., Polzin, K., Roberts,R. (2013) "Short-term, daily intake of yogurt containing Bifidobacterium animalis ssp. lactis Bf-6 (LMG 24384) does not affect colonic transit time in women." British Journal of Nutrition (2013) DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0007114513002237).
o Nobutaka Hirooka, Teiichi Takedait, Frank D'Amico. "Health Maintenance and Access to Care Among Japanese Living in the U.S. (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)." General Medicine, (2013), vol. 14, no. 2, pg. 108-114.
o Bertalmio, M. & Levine, S. (2013). A Variational Approach for Fusing Exposure Bracketed Images. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing.
o Levine, S., Heaps, K., Koslosky, J., & Sidle, G. (2013). Image Fusion using Gaussian Mixture Models. Proceedings of the British Machine Vision Conference.
o Bertalmio, M. & Levine, S. (2013). Color matching for stereoscopic cinema. Proceedings of Mirage 2013, 6th International Conference on Computer Vision / Computer Graphics Collaboration Techniques and Applications.
o Heaps, K., Koslosky, J., Levine, S., & Sidel, G. (2013). Image Fusion using Gaussian Mixture Models. In Burghardt, Tilo and Damen, Dima and Mayol-Cuevas, Walterio and Mirmehdi, Majid (Eds.) Proceedings of the British Machine Vision Conference, BMVA Press
o R. Miller Neilan, Modeling fish growth in low dissolved oxygen, PRIMUS: Problems,Resources, and Issues in Mathematics Undergraduate Studies, 23 (2013) 748 - 758.
o R. O'Donnell and K. Wimmer. "Sharpness of KKL on Schreier graphs." Electronic Communications in Probability 18:no 18:1-12 (2013).
2012 Math/CS Publications
o Shelesky, G., D'Amico, F., Marfatia, R., Wilson, S. (2012). Does Weekly Direct Observation and Formal Feedback improve Intern patient care Skills Development? A randomized Controlled Trial. Family Medicine; 44(7):486-492.
o Gaur, A., (2012). Idempotents and Similar Operators. Thai Journal of Mathematics; 10(1) : 35-41.
o Gaur, A., (2012). A Note on Nilpotent Operators. Advances in Pure Mathematics; 2, 367-370.
o Wagner R, Wetzel SJ, Kern J, Kingston HM, (2012). "Improved sample preparation of glyphosate and methylphosphonic acid by EPA method 6800A and time-of-flight mass spectrometry using novel solid-phase extraction." J Mass Spectrom. Feb;47(2):147-54. doi: 10.1002/jms.2038.
o Ruggieri, E. and Lawrence, C.E. (2012). On Efficient Calculations for Bayesian Variable Selection, Computational Statistics and Data Analysis, 56, 1319-1332.
|C. Software||[Top of Page]|
- "JDiffuse" (with Jon Stanich), August, 2003.
- "Exact Bayesian Inference in Regression (EBIR)" (with C. Lawrence), March 2012
- "The Bayesian Change Point algorithm", June 2012
- "The Bayesian Change Point and Variable Selection algorithm" (with C. Lawrence), August 2012
- "Bayesian Analysis to Describe Genomic Evolution by Rearrangement (BADGER)" (with B. Larget) Version 1.01 beta, (April 21, 2004).
- "Bayesian Analysis in Molecular Biology and Evolution (BAMBE)" (with B. Larget), version 2.03, (May 2001).
|D. Presentations||[Top of Page]|
- "A Retrospective Analysis of HealthCare Utilization by Somali Bantu refugees in Pittsburgh", (with Harris, Drew (presenter)), Pennsylvania Academy Family Practice Research Day Conference, Philadelphia, PA, (April 13, 2007).
- "Access and Availability of the Internet as a patient education tool", (with Vikram Arora, MD (presenter)), Pennsylvania Academy Family Practice Research Day Conference, Philadelphia, PA, (April 13, 2007).
- "Assessment of Intefrnet Usage and Applicability of Internet Based Patient Communication", (with Vikram Arora, MD (presenter)), Northeast Regional Society of Teachers of Family Medicine Annual Conference, Boston, MA, (October 21-23, 2006).
- "Clinical Epidemiological Concepts in Research", Invited three hour workshop to faculty and residents at Johnstown Hospital, Johnstown, Pa. (April 25, 2001).
- "Meta-Analysis in Clinical Practice", Invited one hour workshop (Part II) to UPMC family practice residents. Pittsburgh, PA, (April 23, 2001).
- "Clinical Decision Making Research Tools", Invited 90 min workshop to faculty, residents and medical students at Annual Pa. Academy Research Day Conference, Philadelphia, Pa., (April 6, 2001).
- "Designing the Clinical Question", Invited 2 hour workshop to Ph.D. health science students at University of Pittsburgh, (March 16, 2001).
- "Meta-Analysis in Clinical Practice" Invited one hour workshop (Part I) to UPMC family practice residents. Pittsburgh, Pa., (October 25, 2000).
- "Name that Study - Diagnosis: A unique approach to examining the evidence on journal articles on diagnosis", Three hour workshop presented at the National Society of Teachers of Family Medicine Conference, Orlando, Florida, (May 5, 2000).
- "A Comparison of Continuity of Care Between Traditional and Longitudinal Family Practice Residency Curriculums", Co-presenter with Dr. Merenstein of Alexandria, Va., at the National Society of Teachers of Family Medicine Conference, Orlando, Florida, (May 6, 2000).
- "Analysis of the Convergence of Fourier Coefficients Using a Variational Approach", 2006 Fall Central Section Meeting of the American Mathematical Society, University of Cincinatti, Cincinatti, OH, (October 22, 2006).
- "Uniform-Distribution Learnability of Noisy Linear Threshold Functions with Restricted Focus of Attention", 19th Annual Conference on Learning Theory, Carnegie Mellon University, (June 23, 2006).
- "Average-Case Learnability", Mathematics and Computer Science Department Seminar, Clarkson University, (March 2005).
- "Harmonic Analysis in Learning Theory", Yale Workshop on Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science (invited participant), Yale University, (September 2004).
- "On Quantum Learning of Small DNF Functions", SIAM Conference on Computational Science and Engineering, San Diego, CA, (February 2003).
- "Exploring Learnability Between Exact and PAC", 15th Annual Conference on Computational Learning Theory, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia, (2002).
- "On the Efficiency of Noise-Tolerant PAC Algorithms Derived from Statistical Queries", 13th Annual Conference on Computational Learning Theory, Stanford University, (June 2000).
- "Future Trends in Authorship Attribution", Third Annual Conference of the IFIP Working Group 11.9, Orlando, FL, (January 2007).
- "Context-Sensitive Computer-Aided Index Generator", (with Lukon, Shelly (presenter)), Digital Humanities 2006, Paris, France, (July 2006).
- "Killer Applications in Digital Humanities", Digital Humanities 2006, Paris, France, (July 2006).
- "Towards an Automatic Index Generation Tool", Canadian Symposium for Text Analysis (CaSTA-04) "The Face of Text", Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. (November 2004).
- "Proving and Improving Authorship Attribution" (with J. Sofko), Canadian Symposium for Text Analysis (CaSTA-04) "The Face of Text", Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. (November 2004).
- "On Composership Attribution", Proceedings of the 2004 Joint Annual Conference of the Association for Literary and Linguistic Computing and the Association for Computers and the Humanities (ALLC/ACH 2004). Goteborg, Sweden, (June 2004).
- "Ad-hoc Authorship Attribution Competition", Proceedings of ALLC/ACH 2004. Goteborg, Sweden, (June 2004).
- "Becoming Jack London", Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Quantitative Linguistics (QUALICO-2003), Athens, GA, (May 2003).
- "A Controlled-Corpus Experiment in Authorship Identification by Cross-Entropy", (wth H. Baayen) Proceedings of ACH/ALLC 2003, Athens, GA, (May 2003).
- "Temporal Factors Underlying Linguistic Change", 2003 Annual Meeting of the Linguistic Society of America, Atlanta, GA, (January 2003).
- "A Hierarchical Bayesian Analysis of Longitudinal Frequency Data Using Piecewise Linear Regression", Joint Statistical Meeting, Seattle, WA, (August 8, 2006).
- "PDE and variational based methods for image processing: image decomposition, segmentation, registration, inpainting", New Directions in Complex Data Analysis for Emerging Applications, Breckenridge, CO, (March 2007).
- "Variational Methods in Cartoon+Texture Decomposition", SIAM meeting on Imaging Science, Minneapolis, MN, (May 2006).
- "An Adaptive Variational Approach for Image Decomposition", PDE-based image processing and related inverse problems, Oslo, Norway, (August 2005).
- "An Adaptive Variational Approach for Image Decomposition", American Mathematical Society Fall Eastern meeting, Annandale-on-Hudson, NY, (October 2005).
- "Noise Removal and Texture Extraction using Nonstandard Growth Functionals", Mathematical Imaging and Vision, Banff International Research Station, Banff, Canada, (October 2004).
- "Nonstandard Diffusion in Image Restoration" (invited), Mathematical Methods in Imaging and Vision Workshop, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, (January 2004).
- A More Efficient Approach to Bayesian Variable Selection, AMS Special Session on Groups, Algorithms, Complexity, and Theory of Security, Joint Mathematics Meetings, Boston, MA, January 2012
- Statistics in the World Around Us, Novel Ways to Incorporate Writing into Mathematics Classes Contributed Paper Session, Mathfest, Lexington, KY August 2011
- "Phylogenetic Inference from Mitochondrial Genome Arrangement Data", (with Bret Larget). 2001 International Conference on Computational Science, San Francisco, CA, (May 2001).
|E. Grants||[Top of Page]|
- "Efficient Computation of Electrostatic Potential for use in Molecular Dynamic Simulations", Duquesne Faculty Development Fund, May 2007-June 2008. Amount awarded: $9,972.
- Grant from the National Science Foundation, 2008.
Amount awarded: $250,519.
- "Fourier Analysis of Learning Problems and Function Classes", National Science Foundation, September 2002-August 2006.
Amount awarded: $200,567.
- Grants from the National Science Foundation and the National Endowment for the Humanities, 2008 .
NFS amount awarded: $212,000, NEH amount awarded: $131,465.
- Faculty/Student Research Grant, McAnulty College, Spring 2007.
Amount awarded: $500.
- "A Model of Aphasia using Dictionary-Derived Natural Language Semantics", Oxford University Press. Supported by provision of research corpora from the Digial Reference library. (2003).
- Faculty/Student Research Grant, McAnulty College, Spring 2007.
Amount awarded: $500.
- "Variational and PDE based methods for image processing", National Science Foundation, August 2005-July 2008.
Amount awarded: $139,900.
- "Fire Scar Detection and Analysis: Assessing Future Fire and Flood Hazards via Partial Differential Equations" Duquesne University Faculty Development Grant, May 2004-May 2005.
- "Diffusion Based Models for Image Processing", 2001 Duquesne University Faculty Development Grant, May 2001-May 2002.
Amount awarded: $6,113.
- "Diversity in Computation Technology", Alcoa Foundation, October 2000- August 2012.
Amount awarded: $350,000.
- "Increasing the Participation and Achievement of Female and Minority Students in Computer Science", Wimmer Family Foundation grant, summer 2007.
Amount awarded: $3,500.
- "Improving Bayesian Phylogeny" with B. Larget and D. Baum (U. of Wisconsin at Madison), J. Kadane and M. Derthick (Carnegie Mellon U.) from the National Institutes of Health, June 2003 - May 2008.
Amount awarded: $1,449,570.
|F. Scholarly Service and Activities||[Top of Page]|
- Recipient of the MAA Allegheny Mountain Section Award for Distinguished Service (Spring 2004).
- Member, MAA Committee on Professional Development.
- Member, MAA Coordinating Council on Meetings.
- Member, MAA Committee on Sections.
- Inducted as an alumni member into the Delta Omega National Honor Society for Schools of Public Health (membership is equivalent to Phi Beta Kappa for undergraduate studies in Letters and Science or Alpha Omega Alpha in Medicine) (2007).
- Member, Board of Directors, Association for Computational Learning (2004-present)
- Reviewer for Learning Theory track, Conference on Neural Information Processing Systems, 2006.
- Founding Member, Digital Humanities Development Consortium (2003-present)
- Program Committee, QUALICO-2003
- Member, NSF Review Panel, Information Technology Research "medium", text and multilingual processing, May 2003
- International Quantitative Linguistics Association (Member-at-Large of Executive Board, 2000-present)
- International Steering Committee, New Methods in Language Processing (Member, 1999-present)
- Duquesne University President's Award for Excellence in Teaching (2007).
- National Project Next Fellow - Mathematics Association of America, 2000-2001.
- Associate of the Center for Philosphy of Science at the University of Pittsburgh.
- Accepted an invitation to join the editorial board of the international journal Computers & Education (2007-2012).