Dr. Jennie Schulze prepares for a lecture with undergraduate students.

A A Email Print Share

Major in Political Science

The major in Political Science comprises 30 credits, including 15 credits of required courses, distributed among the four subfields:

  • American National Government (105),
  • Comparative Political Systems (208 or 209),
  • International Relations (245),
  • Western Political Thought I or Western Political Thought II (317 or 318)
  •  Introduction to Political Analysis (298).

Students may design their own course of study for the remaining 15 credits, in consultation with faculty advisors. No more than six credits taken at the 100 level can apply toward the major (and three of these credits will be American National Government).

The optional Law and Politics concentration in Political Science requires all Political Science majors to meet all existing requirements (30 credits, including 15 required credits and 15 elective credits.) Students concentrating in Law and Politics choose 12 of their 15 major elective credits from the following list:

  • POSC 203 - The American Congress
  • POSC 290 - American Political Thought
  • POSC 292W - Public Policy
  • POSC 326W - Constitutional Law and Politics: Civil Liberties and Civil Rights
  • POSC 327W - Constitutional Law and Politics: The Powers of Government
  • POSC 380W - Controversies in Public Policy
  • POSC 385 - International Law and Organization
  • POSC 409 - Public Administration
  • POSC 413W - Human Rights: Politics and Policy
  • POSC 424 - Women and Politics

Political Science majors may also be interested in other courses related to law offered elsewhere in the College, although these are not required for the Law and Politics concentration. For a list of these courses, please refer to the Pre-Law Website: http://www.duq.edu/academics/schools/liberal-arts/graduate-college/programs/pre-law/courses

Declaring Your Major in Political Science

Use this link to log into DORI and complete the Major/Minor Declaration Form.

(Log into DORI > index> Liberal Arts> Resources for Undergraduate Students >Major/Minor Declaration Form.)

Once you have submitted the Major/Minor Declaration Form, the form will be sent to the Department.

You will be notified by the Department that the form has been received.

You will need to make an appointment to meet with Dr. Bob, the Chair of the Department, to declare your major officially.

You will then need to make an appointment with the Department's Administrative Assistant to tak an assessment exam.