MA in Religious Education
This program is designed for students who wish to prepare to serve as directors of religious education and youth ministers in the Diocese of Pittsburgh.
- It is offered by Duquesne University's Department of Theology in collaboration with the Department for Religious Education of the Diocese of Pittsburgh.
- Students enrolled in this program are eligible for a full tuition scholarship, and normally enroll in one course per semester.
Required course in Theology and Catechetics (27 credits)
- Theol 510, Old Testament
- Theol 509, New Testament
- Theol 520, Christology
- Theol 531, Ecclesiology
- Theol 538, Sacraments
- Theol 541, Theological Ethics
- Theol 543, Social Ethics
- Theol 577, Introduction to Catechetics/Theology of Human Development
- Theol 579, Catechesis of Adults/Leadership in Faith Community
Required courses in Education (9 credits)
- GPSY 511, Psychology of Learning
- GPSY 514, Human Growth and Development
- Elective course in Education (3 credits)
Financial Assistance for MA in Religious Education
Diocesan Scholarships: Students working as parish catechetical leaders and youth ministers in the Diocese of Pittsburgh may apply to the Office for Religious Education for full tuition scholarships. Contact the Office for Religious Education at 412.456.3112 for information and application.
For additional information on the M.A. in Religious Education, please contact
Dr. Elizabeth Cochran, Director of Graduate Studies
Fisher Hall 602