The Center for Women's and Gender Studies
Based in the humanities and social sciences, the Center for Women's and Gender Studies (WGS) offers:
- undergraduate courses available to students in any of the University's programs,
- as well as graduate courses.
Coursework in Women's and Gender Studies can lead to:
An Inter-/Multi-Disciplinary Center
The Center introduces students to rapidly expanding areas of scholarship focused upon women, men, gender and sexuality. These are transforming virtually every academic discipline today. Through a multi- and inter-disciplinary program of study, students will explore how:
- Women's and men's experiences within history, society, and culture are shaped by their gendered positions
- Gender positions shape women's and men's responses to experiences
- Institutions and structures of power relate to women and men as gendered beings
- Women's and gender studies has influenced scholarship over the last 30 years
- Focusing on women and gender suggests ways to rethink other scholarly fields or disciplines.
The Center for Women's and Gender Studies aims to promote open dialogue directed toward a vision of a world community that embraces diversity, justice, peace, and freedom - values central to a liberal education. This Center thus participates in Duquesne University's mission to provide for its students not only intellectual breadth but also a moral and ethical foundation for their lifelong personal and professional growth.