Department News & Events
Be sure to visit our Facebook page for additional news and events! www.facebook.com/duqenglish
- Dr. Emad Mirmotahari is the recipient of one of the 2013 Presidential Scholarship Awards.
- Professor Ava Cipri is the recipient of the 2013 Duquesne University Creative Teaching Award.
- Dr. Anne Brannen is the recipient of the 2013 McAnulty College award for Service to the mission and Dr. Daniel Watkins is the recipient of the 2013 McAnulty College award for Teaching Excellence.
- Effective July 2013, Professor John Fried will be promoted to the rank of Associate Professor. Additionally, Dr. Emad Mirmotahari and Dr. Danielle St. Hilaire have successfully passed their Third-Year Review.
- Dr. Greg Barnhisel received the Eugene P. Beard award, the top award for Ethics at Duquesne University, and was featured in the Awards and Honors section of Dateline Pittsburgh. Dr. Barnhisel has also been awarded a one-year NEH Fellowship for 2013.
- Craig Bernier is the 2012 winner of the St. Lawrence Book Award for his collection of short stories entitled Your Life Idyllic. Read more about it here.
- Dr. Kathy Glass took over as Director of Undergraduate Studies for the department, beginning in Fall 2012.
- Dr. Bernard Beranek and Dr. Frederick Newberry retired in Spring 2012. (We regret to add that Bernard Beranek passed away on November 23, 2012. His obituary is available here.)
- Dr. Beth Buhot Runquist and Dr. Bettina Jones joined the department as one-year Visiting Assistant Professors for the 2012-2013 academic year.
*NEW* Concentration in Graduate Studies
The English Department has created a new concentration for graduate students in conjunction with the Journalsm and Multimedia Department:
M.A. in English with a Concentration in Writing, Media Arts and Technology
- Emily Rutter is the recipient of one of the 2012-2013 CTE awards for Graduate Student Teaching Excellence.
(anti)Foundations: An Interdisciplinary Conference
The English Graduate Organization will host this conference March 15-16, 2013. Proposals of academic papers from the humanities, arts, and sciences, as well as submissions of creative work from graduate and undergraduate students, are now being accepted. The deadline for all submissions is January 5, 2013.
Please visit the English Graduate Organization website for more information.
Meet some of our Current Ph.D. Students!
Recent Faculty and Student Publications
- Dr. Danielle St. Hilaire
Satan's Poetry: Fallenness and Poetic Tradition in Paradise Lost. Duquesne University Press, 2012.
Congratulations to our Undergraduate Senior award winners!
Excellence in the English major: Kellie Brickner, Hillary Cox,
Excellence in Theater Arts: Alexis Jabour
Excellence in Fiction Writing: Keeley Teslik
Excellence in Poetry Writing: Duncan McCay and Karl Jancart
Excellence in Playwriting: Madeline Lylo
Best Writing Center Consultant: Jacqueline Weaver
Excellence in Service: Hillary Cox
(picture not available)
The department is proud to announce the publication of our Alumni newsletter, "Much Ado". First published in Spring 2008, the newsletter was developed as a way for our graduates to stay up-to-date with what is happening in the department, as well as with each other. The department hopes to publish a new issue each semester.
We want to hear from you! If you have had any works published, presented papers, received an award or new position, or participated in anything else that you think may be of interest to our Alumni, please let us know.
Also, let us know if you would like to be included on the newsletter email and/or mailing list.
Contact: Nora McBurney, at (412)396-6420 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Vol. 1, Issue 1- Spring 2008
Vol. 1, Issue 2- Fall 2008
Vol. 2, Issue 1- Spring 2009
Vol. 2, Issue 2- Spring 2010
Vol. 3, Issue 1- Summer 2010
Vol. 3, Issue 2- Fall 2010
Vol. 4, Issue 1- Spring 2011
Vol. 5, Issue 1- Fall 2011/Spring 2012
Vol. 5, Issue 1- Fall 2012
Coffee House Readings
The Coffee House Reading Series is a monthly reading of creative writing at the Barnes & Noble Café in the Power Center on Forbes Avenue. Organized and sponsored by Duquesne University's English Department, the series aims to develop the creative writing and arts community on Duquesne's campus by inviting established writers to present their work along side the work of students and other emerging writers. You can view the current semester's schedule of readings below. For more information, contact email@example.com
ALL READINGS WILL TAKE PLACE IN THE BARNES & NOBLE CAFÉ, POWER CENTER, at 7:00 pm
February 12, 2013:
Craig Bernier (fiction) and Heather McNaugher (poetry)
March 21, 2013:
Brian Tierney (poetry) and Steven Schwartz (fiction)
April 16, 2013:
Keeley Teslik (fiction) and Jennifer Collins Gorman (poetry)
3:00 - 4:30 p.m., 644 College Hall
January 18, 2013:
Michael Begnal presents "Pittsburgh Memoranda: Documentary Poetics and Politics in the 1930s"
April 19, 2013:
Dr. Emad Mirmotahari presents "Practicing World Literature"
March 22, 2013:
3:00-4:00 p.m., 644 College Hall
Melissa Wehler will present her dissertation: "Illegitimate Celebrity in the British Long 18th Century"
Director: Laura Engel, First Reader: Anne Brannen, Second Reader:
April 23, 2013:
3:00-4:00 p.m., 313 Canevin Hall
Marianne Holohan will present her dissertation: "Scenes of Reading: Forgotten Antebellum Readers, Self-Representation, and the Transatlantic Reprint Industry"
Director: Tom Kinnahan, First Reader: Greg Barnhisel, Second Reader: Kathy Glass
April 4, 2013:
7:00 p.m., Power Center Ballroom
As part of the UCOR 102 Readings Series, poet Toi Derricotte gave a wonderful reading last night, attended by over 700 students and faculty members. Thanks to the English department, the Office of the Provost, and the faculty and staff of the First-Year Writing Program for making this event such a success.
Check out the Red Masquers blog!
This year marks the 100th anniversary of the Red Masquers!
ALL PERFORMANCES ARE AT 8:00 P.M. IN THE PETER MILLS PLAYHOUSE (ROCKWELL HALL) UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
January 12: Pittsburgh Monologue Project
January 19: Cabaret show (TBA)
February 7-9 and 14-16: American Tragedy- World Premiere!
April 5: The Starlight Room Cabaret
Contact John Lane about tickets and for more information.
April 11-13 and 18-20: March- World Premiere!