Sigma Tau Delta
Candidates for undergraduate membership must have completed at least 3 semesters of college work and a minimum of 2 college courses in English language or literature. They must also have a minimum of a B grade point average in English, and rank at least in the highest 35 percent of their class in general scholarship.
Dr. Stuart Kurland
Sigma Tau Delta, the International English Honor Society, was established in 1924 to confer distinction upon students of the English language and literature in undergraduate, graduate, and professional studies.
The Society strives to:
1. Confer distinction for high achievement in English language and literature in undergraduate, graduate, and professional studies;
2. Provide, through its local chapters, cultural stimulation on college campuses and promote interest in literature and the English language in surrounding communities;
3. Foster all aspects of the discipline of English, including literature, language, and writing;
4. Promote exemplary character and good fellowship among its members;
5. Exhibit high standards of academic excellence; and
Serve society by fostering literacy.
A member of the Association of College Honor Societies, Sigma Tau Delta was founded in 1924 at Dakota Wesleyan University.
Everyone is eligible to get involved! We currently offer Full and Associate Membership:
• The minimum requirements for Full Membership are 1) three semesters of college coursework, 2) two English classes above the 100 level, and 3) a B average in general coursework. Full Membership is considered competitively, and meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee acceptance.
• Associate Membership is meant for members who do not meet the minimum requirements, but are looking to get involved. They can attend chapter meetings, events, and win chapter awards. They also are automatically accepted as Full Members upon eligibility, without the competition of reapplying for Full Membership.
Applications are available online at http://bit.ly/pidelta