Applicants for the Master of Arts in Communication with a concentration in Corporate Communication, Integrated Marketing Communication (IMC), Rhetoric & Philosophy of Communication, or Communication Studies, or one of our dual degree programs, must hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. The undergraduate degree does not have to be in a communication-related field, but applicants are required to demonstrate a basic understanding and awareness of communication. If, in the judgment of the Admission Committee, you do not fulfill this prerequisite you may be asked to complete additional undergraduate work before beginning graduate studies.
Application to Dual Degree Programs
Applicants for one of the four dual degree programs must submit TWO separate applications: one to the Department of Communication & Rhetorical Studies and one to the second degree program area.
Additional Application Criteria
- An undergraduate Q.P.A. of 3.0/4.0 (official transcript required).
- Successful performance on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Select institution code 2196 (Duquesne University), program code 4599 (Communication).
- A writing sample prepared within a collegiate or business setting.
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals who can evaluate academic and professional performance.
- A statement of the applicant’s professional and career goals (not more than 500 words). This statement should identify the precise M.A. concentration to which the student is applying: M.A. in Corporate Communication; M.A. in Integrated Marketing Communication; M.A. in Rhetoric & Philosophy of Communication; or M.A. in Communication Studies.
All application materials must be submitted to the Graduate Office, Duquesne University, 215 College Hall, 600 Forbes Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15282 no later than August 1 (for Fall admission) or November 1 (for Spring admission). The graduate assistantship deadline is January 15.
Applications are to be submitted online. There is no application fee for online submissions.