Admission Requirements for Master of Science in Media Arts and Technology
- New Media Management
- Multimedia Management
- Web Design and Development
- 4-1 Program
To be considered for admission to the Master of Science in Media Arts and Technology, you must:
- Have a 3.0 undergraduate grade point average from an accredited college or university. (All Applicants except 4-1 Program applicants.)
- Be literate and comfortable with computers. We define this as having experience with graphical user interface, word processing software, cutting and pasting and file management. (All applicants)
- Transcript(s) (All applicants)
- 3 letters of reference (All applicants except Certificate)
- One or more of the following three: (Multimedia Management and Web Design and Development only)
- Portfolio (Examples of electronic portfolios might be web sites you designed, interactive presentations or titles, videotapes and so on) or hard copy portfolio.
- Self-nomination letter (Your reasons for pursuing a Master of Science in Media Arts and Technology, how you would contribute to such a program, a description of how your interests, activities and work relates to multimedia technology. And anything else you feel will strengthen your application for admission.)
- GRE test must be taken. (All applicants except Certificate)
- TOEFL (for international students only. Minimum requirements are 550 paper based and 80 internet based)
To be eligible for the 4-1 Program, a student must:
- Be an undergraduate majoring in Journalism and Multimedia Arts who has completed at least 15 credits in the major
- Have completed 90 undergraduate credits.
- Have an overall GPA of at least 3.25 and 3.7 PGA in your major
We will accept your supporting application materials through Interfolio at www.interfolio.com
Register for an Interfolio account using the e-mail address you used on your Duquesne online application. Interfolio charges a $19 fee to create an account and a one-time $6 delivery fee. Additional deliveries are free of charge.
Request, gather, and upload the following documents individually to your Interfolio account and submit them electronically to the Graduate School. Submitting all documents in one delivery is recommended to ensure faster processing.
Any materials that cannot be submitted electronically should be clearly labelled and sent to Ms. Linda Rendulic, Liberal Arts Graduate Office, 215 College Hall, Pittsburgh, PA 15282 by the application deadline. The deadlines are:
Fall Semester Start – August 1 (If interested in scholarships, March 1)
Spring Semester Start – November 1
Be sure to check specific program sites for additional entrance requirements and application procedures. All graduate programs require the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), three letters of recommendation, a statement of goals or a personal essay, and a writing sample. However, individual programs may require additional information.
To request more information, visit the university graduate inquiry form.
When applying, you will need three recommendations.
An 18-credit certificate in Media Arts and Technology is for professionals who want to keep current in the fast-changing sphere of multimedia and web technologies.
Certificate students must take JMA 501 – Introduction to Multimedia Technology and JMA 530 – Digital Imaging for Multimedia. The student must also take any four additional multimedia graduate courses.