Applying to the Biological Sciences Ph.D. Graduate Program
Applicants should have an undergraduate degree in biology (or a related sub-discipline) with a basic foundation in biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics.
Applicants will be considered on the basis of their intellectual capacity, communication skills, motivation, and aptitude for laboratory research. Applicants with serious undergraduate course deficiencies may be required to correct these prior to admission into the program.
Fall Admission: January 15th
Spring and Summer: No Admission
Please submit a complete application with all items listed below. Only complete application packages are reviewed by the Admissions Committee.
1. An application.
Complete one of the following:
2. A one- to two-page Statement of Purpose describing your goals and objectives for enrolling in this program.
3. Official transcripts, in English, of all undergraduate and any graduate studies completed. These should be sent directly from the University to:
Bayer School of Natural & Environmental Sciences
100 Mellon Hall
600 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15282
4. Three letters of recommendation sent to the above address. In addition, please have each reference submit a completed recommendation form.
5. Official GRE scores sent to the above address. General test is required for admission into the M.S. and Ph.D. Biological Sciences programs. A subject test (in either Biology, Biochemistry, or Cell & Molecular Biology) is optional. The General GRE test is required for M.S. in Biotechnology applicants.
6. INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS ONLY - Your application package must also contain the following:
- Official Internet-based (iBT) TOEFL scores that are current to one year. Please review Duquesne University's English Language Proficiency requirements. The minimum required TOEFL score is 100.
- Before classes begin, International students and any non-native speakers of the English language (including Lawful Permanent Residents) will be required to take the Speaking Proficiency English Assessment Kit (SPEAK) test. On occasion students with exceptionally high speaking portions of the TOEFL may be waived from the SPEAK test.
- Duquesne University Affidavit of Support Form completed in full and an official bank statement. The affidavit of support form is a legal document that a student’s sponsor must complete and have notarized and certified. The bank statement must be from the sponsor and show at least one full year of costs. Estimates of costs for the academic year are available from the Office of International Programs.
- Mandatory International Student Form.
Please make sure your application is complete. Applications that are missing any of the above items will not be processed.
Please e-mail email@example.com with application questions or problems.
We'd Like to Meet You!
The Bayer School of Natural and Environmental Sciences strongly encourages all applicants to visit our campus, meet our faculty, and tour our facilities. For more details, please see our Visitor Information Page.