Message from the Dean
Mary Ellen Smith Glasgow
Dear Prospective and Current Students, Alumni, and Friends of the School of Nursing,
Welcome to Duquesne University School of Nursing!
At Duquesne, we offer a transformational education for the mind, heart and spirit. Faculty pride themselves on creating an energetic, engaging learning environment, one that emphasizes ethical practice, community service, and a commitment to social justice in addition to leading edge technologies and curriculum.
The School of Nursing has a rich innovative 80-year history that includes the first online PhD in Nursing Program in the nation in addition to other ground-breaking programs such as our Dual Undergraduate Degree in Nursing and Biomedical Engineering, Forensic Nursing Program, and a new PhD in Nursing Ethics Program, beginning in May 2017.
The School of Nursing offers endless professional and personal opportunities for students and faculty:
- Ranked #10 among Catholic Universities
- Recognized by the National League for Nursing as a Center of Excellence for Creating Environments that Enhance Learning and Professional Development
- Ranked #26 in Graduate Nursing Online Programs by U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked #67 in Graduate Schools by U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked #16 in Graduate Nursing Online Programs for Veterans by U.S. News & World Report
- A new 7000 square foot state-of-the art Learning and Simulation Center that opened in fall 2015
- Offers an undergraduate nursing development program specific to veterans
- Offers a Nursing Honors Program
- Builds on a tradition of serving our local community with our Community-Based Health and Wellness Center for Older Adults in many Pittsburgh neighborhoods
- Our Center for Research for Underserved and Vulnerable Populations is dedicated to building a community of scholars that includes both faculty and students
- Exciting study abroad opportunities in Rome, Ireland, and Nicaragua in our BSN, MSN, and PhD Programs
- Hosts the annual McGinley-Rice Symposium Exploring Social Justice for Vulnerable Populations
- Situated in Pittsburgh, known as having one of the best healthcare systems in the nation
- A strong emphasis on nursing ethics across all programs
- Faculty who are expert clinicians, researchers, teachers, and mentors
- Technology infused where electronic books and applications are accessed via mobile technology in our undergraduate program so students can study and retrieve information anytime, any place
- A pioneer in online learning with skilled online faculty and cutting-edge curriculum
I hope you consider applying to one of our extraordinary nursing programs and become part of our Duquesne nursing community. You will have the opportunity to work with our innovative, talented faculty to prepare for many diverse roles in a rapidly changing health care environment. Make a difference, Become a Duquesne Nurse.
Mary Ellen Smith Glasgow, PhD, RN, ANEF, FAAN
Professor and Dean