Second Annual "Uncork the Potential"
Wine and Appetizers Event
Tuesday, August 30, 2016
6:00 to 8:00 p.m.
All proceeds benefit the Duquesne University Nursing Alumni Scholarship
$50 per person - Must be 21 years old
- 2 glasses of wine
- 2 free tickets for Chinese Auction
"Fall Fashion Trends" by Lynn & Lorraine ~ an informal talk about fall fashions!
Music by "The Ross Antonich Duo"
RSVP by August 24, 2016
Alumni Association President's Message
Welcome to the DUSON Alumni Association! I am so excited and encouraged to work together with your alumni board to foster the mission of the School of Nursing. You are one of over 5000-strong DUSON alums from our many undergraduate and graduate programs making an impact on health care delivery throughout the world! As a recently retired former professor and Assistant Dean in the DUSON as well as an alumna, I have witnessed unbelievable changes during my tenure of nearly 30 years as a member of the faculty. But the past 10 years have been phenomenal. Under the leadership of Dr. Eileen Zungolo and particularly and most recently, under the leadership of Dr. Mary Ellen Glasgow, the School of Nursing is expanding both its enrollment and high-quality programming exponentially. Students are receiving a high-quality, state-of-the-art, rigorous, and caring education from superb faculty. Don't doubt for a minute - the DUSON is a major force in nursing education! You should be proud to be a Duquesne nursing alum!
Our Alumni Association Board has been very busy providing increasing support to the School of Nursing to promote the mission and strategic plan of our growing DUSON. Over the past several years we have continued some time-honored traditions and added a few new things to our list. We are proud to share these with you.
- We host our annual Homecoming Brunch honoring reunion classes each October.
- We have established the first DUSON Alumni Association Endowed Scholarship and have raised $30,000 toward our goal of $50,000.
- We participated in the Annual Duquesne "Day of Giving" and raised almost $2000 in 24 hours.
- We host "Uncork the Potential", our annual scholarship fundraiser.
- We have worked with local artisans to create a line of jewelry, keychains, and ornaments whose sale benefits the endowed scholarship fund.
- We purchase a requested item for the DUSON Learning and Simulation Center annually.
- We co-sponsor the annual DUSON McGinley-Rice Annual Symposium focused on vulnerable populations each October.
- We provide in-kind and financial support and networking to DUSON student organizations such as, Alpha Tau Delta, Chi Eta Phi, and Duquesne University Student Nurses Association. (DUSNA).
- We present the DUSON Alumni Award to a deserving graduating student.
- We participate in the annual DUSON White Coat Ceremony at the beginning of the academic year.
- We provide in-kind and financial support for the "stress-free zone" for students during finals week and high stakes testing periods.
- We conduct one community service project each year benefiting a Pittsburgh neighborhood or organization.
- We are partnering with the PA State Nurses Association (PSNA) on several initiatives, including one for Young Professionals.
As you can see, your alumni board has been busy. We are a small group and invite more of you to get involved! Our current board members are a hard-working, creative, and loyal group - but we are limited by our number. In particular, we are recruiting more recent alums from all programs to work on several newer and young alumni initiatives that are being planned.
I would love to see each of you become a dues-paying member of the Alumni Association - it's only $40 per year! - to support these efforts. In addition, help us reach our goal of $50,000 by making a contribution to the endowed scholarship fund to provide financial assistance to our nursing students.
But most of all, I'd love to see more of you get involved on the Alumni Board or attend our events throughout the year which are advertised on the DUSON website and through various mailings. These are great opportunities to network and socialize with your fellow alums and to mentor current students or young alumni. There's something for everyone!
If we don't have your current email address, please share it with us so you don't miss any alumni news! Take some time to navigate through our alumni website - we are excited to share what we are doing with you!
I am so proud to be a DUSON Alumna! Hoping to see or hear from you soon!
Leah Vota Cunningham, MNEd, RN, BSN '70
President, DUSON Nursing Alumni Association
What Can You Do?
- Serve as the alumni representative for your class
- Update your contact information
- Be a mentor to new students
- Attend homecoming/Nursing Alumni Breakfast
- Stay up to date with our news and events
- Share your ideas with any of our alumni board about how we can better serve you
DU Alumni Web site
Duquesne University's Alumni Web site contains valuable information about current events, donor opportunities and more. There are more than 65,000 DU alumni worldwide!
View the latest DU Alumni Newsletter.