MSN Degree Admissions
Applicants please note:
Individuals planning to practice in Pennsylvania who have been convicted of any crime (felony or misdemeanor) in any court or who have any criminal charges pending/unresolved may be prohibited from licensure or re-licensure as a Registered Nurse OR may be mandated to complete additional requirements in order to be eligible for licensure, as determined by the PA State Board of Nursing. Any student with such a history must contact the PA State Board of Nursing Bureau of Health Professionals Monitoring (717-783-4857) for guidance prior to enrollment.
Students who plan on applying for licensure outside of the state of Pennsylvania should contact the State Board of Nursing in their respective state.
ADMISSION CRITERIA (Summer start only)
- Current unencumbered license as a Registered Nurse
- A baccalaureate degree in nursing from an accredited nursing program
- A BSN QPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- A minimum of 1 year full-time work experience as a registered nurse is required prior to registration in clinical or specialty courses
- An interview with faculty may be required (in person, online or by phone)
- Students must meet the Technical Standards for Admission.
Required MSN Orientation
All new MSN students must attend a mandatory virtual orientation in May.
- Undergraduate statistics course
- Undergraduate physical assessment course
- Ability to send and download attachments
- Word processing, spreadsheet, database management and presentation graphics
Transfer Credits (Advanced Standing) Requests
Transfer credits must meet the following criteria:
- Maximum of 9 MSN level credits from an accredited university and approved nursing program may be transferred
- Minimum grade of "B" or higher
- Credits may not have been applied to a previous degree
- Credits taken within the past 5 years
Procedure for requesting Transfer Credits:
- Complete the Request for Advanced Standing Form.
- Request official transcript(s) for all requested transfer courses.
- Submit the Request for Advanced Standing form, the official transcript(s), and the course syllabus with other application materials.
- Your request will be evaluated by the Graduate Admissions Committee.
The admissions process for nursing graduate studies is handled exclusively by the School of Nursing.
1. Complete the online application. If transcripts will be sent under a different name, i.e. maiden or former name, please indicate that name.
2. Provide two professional reference letters - one academic, one employment. Send this link to your references to complete: Graduate Reference Form
By forwarding this link to your references, you waive your right to view the recommendations.
3. Mail the following to the School of Nursing - MSN Program:
- Current curriculum vitae (CV): a complete resume with dated work and practice, honors, awards, publications and presentations
- Copy of current unencumbered RN license
- Description of professional goals - 2 typed pages, double-spaced, on separate sheets. Please include:
• Reasons for pursuing MSN degree.
• Relate past experiences to advancing career. Include purpose for undertaking or continuing graduate study, reasons for wanting to study at Duquesne, professional plans and career goals.
• Describe past achievements in nursing (such as professional organizations' memberships or positions, awards, scholarships, nominations, certifications, committee or project work, scholarly publications, other accomplishments or abilities).
• Describe any special circumstances applicable to background and professional history.
- The Request for Advanced Standing Form and supporting documents, if requesting advanced standing
4. Arrange for these documents to be sent directly to the School of Nursing - MSN Program:
- If you have ever attended Duquesne University, the University Registrar's Office will automatically forward an official transcript for any Duquesne University coursework directly to the School of Nursing on your behalf. This transcript will be provided as a courtesy and free of charge. No transcripts from schools other than Duquesne University will be forwarded from the University Registrar's Office. You will need to request other transcripts from the originating school(s).
- Official ADN or Diploma transcript (if applicable)
- Official BSN transcript
- Official transcripts for prerequisite courses, if not included on BSN program transcript
- Official transcripts of Master's-level courses, if requesting advanced standing
5. If you are interested in graduate aid, you must complete the
Graduate Financial Aid Application and mail directly to the Financial Aid Office.
6. If you are accepted, a non-refundable $250.00 deposit will be required to reserve your place in class.