Bachelor of Science in Nursing Admissions
The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree requirements can be completed on a full-time or part-time basis. The basic undergraduate program includes four years of study and is designed to provide the student with the knowledge and skills necessary to practice as a professional nurse generalist upon graduation. Duquesne's general and professional education provides a basis for the graduate to progress to positions of increasing responsibility and to undertake graduate study. Upon the successful completion of their program of studies, graduates are eligible to take the NCLEX-RN examination for licensure.
Applicants please note:
Individuals planning to practice in Pennsylvania who have been convicted of any crime (felony or misdemeanor) in any court or who have any criminal charges pending/unresolved may be prohibited from licensure or re-licensure as a Registered Nurse OR may be mandated to complete additional requirements in order to be eligible for licensure, as determined by the PA State Board of Nursing. Any student with such a history must contact the PA State Board of Nursing Bureau of Health Professionals Monitoring (717-783-4857) for guidance prior to enrollment.
Students who plan on applying for licensure outside of the state of Pennsylvania should contact the State Board of Nursing in their respective state.
Regular Student Admissions
- The primary consideration for admission is the secondary school academic record. Nursing requires Algebra, Biology, and Chemistry.
- A candidate must present satisfactory scores on the required College Entrance Examination Board Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) or the American College Testing Program (ACT).
- Submit one letter of recommendation, preferably from a science or math teacher.
- Submit a personal essay. Please discuss the following:
Tell us something unique about yourself, why you chose nursing, and how you plan to achieve your academic, personal and professional goals. Submit your essay to email@example.com. Please include your last name and birthdate with your essay submission.
- Students must meet the Technical Standards for Admission.
1. Complete an online Application for Undergraduate Admission
2. Mail application requirements to the Office of Admissions.
Applicants are responsible for ensuring that all required documents are submitted. No final decision can be made on any application until all required documentation is on file.