Second Degree BSN Program
The Second Degree Bachelor of Science in Nursing program enables a non-nurse with a baccalaureate degree to obtain a BSN in one year. After 12 month of intensive full-time study, during which time all requirements for a BSN degree are met, students are eligible to take the nursing licensure examination.
Regular Admissions (Fall start only)
For more helpful information, read the FAQs section.
Please review these important Deadline Dates
In order for your application to be reviewed by the Admissions Committee you must meet the following requirements:
- BS or BA degree from an accredited college or university (degree requirements can be in progress with an anticipated degree conferral date prior to the start of the program).
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale. The Admissions Committee may consider recent courses that provide evidence of your academic ability to succeed in this accelerated program.
- All prerequisites must be successfully completed prior to the start of the program. The admissions committee recommends that you complete as many of the required science prerequisites that you can prior to submitting your application. These prerequisites are the foundational basis for your nursing education. For success in this accelerated program, you must have a solid understanding of the content in the prerequisite courses.
- A non-refundable deposit of $500 is required to become a student.
- Students must meet the Technical Standards for Admission.
You may apply to the Second Degree BSN program prior to completing the prerequisite coursework. Prerequisite coursework must be completed prior to fall enrollment with a grade of "C" or higher (a "C-" will not be accepted.)
Completed in the last 5 years:
- Anatomy and Physiology I with lab - 4 credits
- Anatomy and Physiology II with lab - 4 credits
Completed in the last 10 years:
- Biology or Chemistry (100 level or higher) with lab - 4 credits
- Microbiology with lab - 4 credits
- Nutrition - 3 credits
- Statistics - 3 credits
- Human Growth and Development (across the lifespan) - 3 credits
or similar course covering the following material:
Theories of human development from conception through death with emphasis placed on an individual's psychological, cognitive, psychosocial, and spiritual development within the context of the family, community, and culture. (a syllabus is required for courses that have another course title).
The prerequisite coursework may completed at any accredited college or university. Online coursework is acceptable.
The prerequisite courses may not be waived or substituted.
The application and supporting documents (see below) must be submitted to the School of Nursing no later than April 1, 2016. The Rolling Admissions Policy permits applicants to receive notification of admission decisions soon after a complete application is received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you submit your application early.
1. Complete the online Application for Undergraduate Admission
NOTE: An essay, personal statement and reference letters are no longer required as part of the application process. The online application may be submitted without it. Please contact the Nurse Recruiter, Gina Plocki at SecondDegreeBSN@duq.edu with any questions.
2. Send the following in one package to the School of Nursing:
- Curriculum vitae (CV) or resume (suggested)
- Completed Prerequisite Requirement Completion/Summary Form
Applicants are responsible for ensuring that all required documents are submitted. No final decision can be made on any application until all required documentation is on file.
3. Request official transcripts from ALL PREVIOUS undergraduate and graduate work to be sent directly to the School of Nursing.
(DO NOT SEND TO THE UNIVERSITY OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS)
Duquesne University School of Nursing
Second Degree Application
600 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh PA 15282