Second Degree BSN Program
The Second Degree Bachelor of Science in Nursing program enables a non-nurse with a baccalaureate degree to obtain a BSN in one year. After 12 month of intensive full-time study, during which time all requirements for a BSN degree are met, students are eligible to take the nursing licensure examination.
Regular Admissions (Fall start only)
For more helpful information, read the FAQs section.
Please review these important Deadline Dates
1. BS or BA degree from an accredited college or university.
2. Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
You may apply to the Second Degree BSN Program before the prerequisite coursework is completed. Prerequisite coursework must be completed prior to fall enrollment with a grade of "C" or higher (a "C-" will not be accepted.)
|Completed within the last 5 years:|
|Anatomy and Physiology I with lab||4 credits|
|Anatomy and Physiology II with lab||4 credits|
|Completed within the last 10 years:|
|Biology or Chemistry with lab||4 credits|
|Microbiology with lab||4 credits|
| Human Growth and Development
(across the lifespan)
4. A non-refundable deposit of $500 is required to become a student.
5. Students must meet the Technical Standards for Admission.
The application and supporting documents (see below) must be submitted to the School of Nursing no later than April 1, 2016. The Rolling Admissions Policy permits applicants to receive notification of admission decisions soon after a complete application is received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you submit your application early.
1. Complete the online Application for Undergraduate Admission
NOTE: An essay, personal statement and reference letters are no longer required as part of the application process. The online application may be submitted without it. Please contact the Nurse Recruiter, Gina Plocki at SecondDegreeBSN@duq.edu with any questions.
2. Send the following in one package to the School of Nursing:
- Curriculum vitae (CV) or resume (suggested)
- Completed Prerequisite Requirement Completion/Summary Plan
3. Request official transcripts from ALL PREVIOUS undergraduate and graduate work to be sent directly to the School of Nursing.
(DO NOT SEND TO THE UNIVERSITY OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS)
Duquesne University School of Nursing
Second Degree Application
600 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh PA 15282