Tuition and Financial Aid
School of Nursing Endowed Scholarships and Resource Funds
The School of Nursing has a growing number of endowed scholarships and resource funds that are available to undergraduate and second degree students each year who have completed 30 credits in their program of studies. Scholarships are awarded prior to the start of the academic year. Eligibility criteria vary for each scholarship or resource fund. Applications are made available to students in May of each year with a submission deadline of July 15th. Some of the awards are listed below. View the most current list here.
- Nursing Endowment for Excellence
- Richard J. Behan Endowed Student Leadership Fund
- Mary Ann Bellisario McQuade, R.N. and James P. McQuade Family Endowed Scholarship
- Mary Ann Bellisario McQuade, R.N. and James P. McQuade Endowed Student Resource Fund
- Joan Kip Richardson Dunn Endowed Nursing Scholarship
- Laura Martin Endowed Scholarship (PhD students only)
- Margaret Swank Guyaux Endowed Scholarship
- Joseph W. Hauser Endowed Scholarship
- Herbert Schreiber Endowed Scholarship
- Sue Migliorino Thomas Endowed Scholarship (FNP students only)
- Thomas Blaise Leskanic Endowed Scholarship
- Ruth C. Maszkiewicz Endowed Scholarship
- Ella McGovern Endowed Scholarship
- Bethany Hospice/Linda Peterson Memorial Endowed Scholarship
- Connie Miller Endowed Scholarship
- Adele Petraitis Endowed Scholarship
- Nursing Undergraduate Endowed Scholarship
Endowed Resource Funds
- Robert and Veila Vota Endowed Resource Fund
- Richard Behan Student Leadership Endowed Resource Fund
- McQuade Student Endowed Resource Fund
- Beatrice Marino Endowed Resource Fund
- Dr. Shirley Powe Smith Endowed Nursing Resource Fund
- Dean Eileen Zungolo Endowed Resource Fund
Several additional scholarships for nursing students are administered by the Office of Financial Aid. These scholarships are need and merit-based and include:
- Madeline A. Caquatto Endowed Nursing Scholarship
- Louise F. McCarthy Endowed Scholarship
- Barbara Verbiar Endowed Scholarship
- Leslie Anne Hoover Memorial Endowed Scholarship
Second Degree Program Financial Aid
The total tuition for this unique 12-month undergraduate second degree nursing program is a flat discounted rate established by the University. Because this is a second bachelor’s degree, students may not be eligible for the usual undergraduate grant and scholarship monies. Since the Second Degree BSN program leads to the undergraduate BSN degree, students do not qualify for graduate student funding opportunities. Historically our second degree students have funded their nursing education using personal loans, parental contribution, and personal income.
It is strongly recommended that you review the most current information available on the Office of Financial Aid web site, and then contact the Office to assess your specific financial needs.
A Guide to Student Loans
This guide, Student Loans: An Overview, can help you sort through the maze of options, exploring loan costs, requirements and repayment plans so that you can choose your loan wisely. This will help you achieve your educational goals without undermining other life aspirations, such as starting a family, owning a home, and pursuing the career of your dreams.
A College Education for Veterans
Duquesne University is honored to serve those who have served their country. A wide array of academic programs and services make Duquesne a military-friendly university.
Visit our Veterans web page for more information.
Addition Financial Aid Opportunities for Nursing Students
Accredited Schools Online
Funding your nursing school education - scholarships, financial aid and other ways to pay.
American Association of Colleges of Nursing
View a listing of financial aid and scholarship sites.
Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) Nursing Scholarship Program
In exchange for at least two years service at a health care facility with a critical shortage of nurses, the Nursing Scholarship Program pays tuition, required fees, other reasonable cost, including books and clinical supplies, and a monthly stipend. U.S. citizens or nationals enrolled or accepted for enrollment at a full-time or part-time student in an accredited school of nursing are eligible to apply. THIS AWARD IS STRICTLY NEED-BASED.
Travel Nursing Scholarship
Nursing Education Scholarship
- Awarded by the Travel Nursing career organization.
- Amount: $1,000
- Requirements: Accepted to or currently attending a full-time nursing or medical program at an accredited institution.
- Deadline: May 17, 2016
- Apply at: http://www.travelnursing.org/nursing-scholarship.php
Scholarships & Financial Aid for Minority Students
Scholarships and other financial assistance are vitally important in helping minority students achieve their college and career dreams. View the Scholarship guide
Local, Regional, National Organizations and Foundations
The School of Nursing receives a number of scholarship notifications throughout the academic year from various local, regional, and national foundations and organizations. This information is forwarded to all students via email and the School of Nursing Intranet Site and applications are available through the Office of Student Services. It is the individual student’s responsibility to apply for each scholarship if interested.