The Center for Continuing Dental Education
Director: Michael E. Mermigas, BS Pharm, DDS, MaCSD
About the Center
The Center for Continuing Dental Education was established in 2003 to meet the educational needs of practicing dentists and their team members. Realizing a need in the dental profession for enrichment in the areas of pharmacotherapeutics, medical evaluation, pathophysiology, anxiety and pain control, the Center began offering courses in these disciplines.
In 2009, the Center began the "IV Sedation Certification Program for Dentists."Since then, many dentist from all over North America and internationally have been trained and certified in the safe use of intravenous moderate sedation.
The Center continues to offer multidisciplinary courses to help dentists elevate their level of knowledge and improve the care they deliver to their patients.
- IV Sedation Mini-Residency Program: This is an intensive, multiple module, didactic/clinical training program that will enable the participant, upon successful completion, to obtain a permit to administer IV moderate sedation. The program meets or exceeds the "ADA Guidelines for Teaching Administration of Moderate Sedation."
- IV Sedation Refresher Course: This is a review course intended to offer participants continuing dental education units towards re-licensure and for permit maintenance. Material presented includes latest developments in anesthesia and pain control, emergency management, and airway management, as well as a review of the fundamentals of sedation as it pertains to dental practice.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support and Basic Life Support: an American Heart Association-certified instructor teaches this course. It is suitable for initial as well as recurrent certification, and is presented with emphasis on the dental practice environment.
- Incorporating Sedation into Your Dental Practice: An introductory course that presents the fundamentals of all sedation modalities and how they benefit patients and increase access to care.
- Selected Topics of Interest for Dentists and Team Members: Multi-disciplinary courses pertinent to dental practice including: pharmacotherapeutics, medical evaluation, pathophysiology, anxiety and pain control and management of medical emergencies.