How to Apply
Study Abroad Application Procedures and Eligibility
Eligibility to Study Abroad:
- You must be at least a second semester freshmand to apply.
- You must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 for all non-Duquesne Approved Study Abroad Programs regardless of the program's requirement.
- You must have no serious disciplinary or academic actions pending. All accepted applicants will be reviewed by the Student Life Office for their disciplinary clearance.
Application Process for Semester-long Approved Study Abroad Programs:
- Meet with the Study Abroad Advisor to discuss your options. The advisor will assist you in finding a program that best suits you academically and personally. The earlier you plan, the easier it is to accommodate a semester abroad in your academic career. It is often helpful to know what classes you are thinking of taking abroad or the destination where you would like to study.
- Meet with your Academic Advisor. Once you have decided on a program, meet with your academic advisor to obtain course approvals for the classes you plan to take abroad. You want to be sure that the courses abroad will fulfill your major, minor, elective, and/or college core requirements.
- Apply ONLINE to the Office of International Programs (OIP). Submit your Duquesne University online application and supporting documents (see below) by the published deadlines. The International Programs Study Abroad Admissions Committee, which consists of Duquesne University faculty and staff, will review your application for approval to study abroad by the university. You must be approved by the committee to study abroad in order to receive credit for your semester abroad.
- Apply to your program. Once you have received approval by Duquesne University to study abroad, apply directly to your selected program. Pay special attention to outside program deadlines as they may be earlier then Duquesne's deadlines. The Study Abroad Advisor can assist you with this process.
|Fall Approved Programs:||March 1st, (April 11th - Duquesne in Dublin)|
|Spring Approved Programs:||October 1st|
(If either of the deadlines fall on a weekend, submit materials by the Friday before)
Online Application Process:
Apply Online - Online Application. You will select a specific study aboad program and term (semester and year). Once this is done you will apply for that specific program and follow the steps to create an account.
All of the following requirements will be available via your online application and all items must be in by the posted deadlines to be considered for studying abroad.
- 2 (two) Recommendation: requests are made through the online application--one from your advisor and one from a faculty member
- Upload a copy of your official transcript (If applying for Dublin or Queen Mary, an official copy must be delievered to 601 Union)--transcripts can be requested through your DORI account or at the registar (Ground FL of Admin Bldg)
- Scehdule a meeting with your academic advisor to complete your Study Abroad Course Approval Form
- Upload a 2 (two) page essay addressing the following (we recommend you writing this in Word before attaching it to your application):
- Why you want to study abroad.
- Why you chose the country and program.
- What courses you plan to take abroad and how this experience compliments your academic and professional goals.
Duquesne University in Dublin, Ireland - Applicants ONLY
In addition to the online application and required materials listed above, you will need to submit the following by the same deadlines:
- Proof of Online application to University College Dublin
- Application type: Visiting Student
- Programme Choice: Business, Arts, etc. (be certain you are applying to the program where you plan to take the majority of your classes)
- Copy of passport or birth certificate
Application Process for Short-Term Faculty-Led Programs
Work directly with the sponsoring faculty member. Each program will have its own process and deadlines. Check out the Short-Term programs.