McAnulty Graduate School of Liberal Arts
In 1878, the Fathers of the Congregation of the Holy Ghost and the Immaculate Heart of Mary established a College of Arts and Letters, which was incorporated in 1882 as Pittsburgh Catholic College of the Holy Ghost with authority to great degrees in the arts and sciences. In 1911, the College and University Council of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania extended the charter to university status and approved the amendment in favor of the corporate title, Duquesne University. Since that time, the Graduate School in the College has grown significantly, now encompassing 11 departments, several Centers and Institutes, and offering 24 graduate degrees and certificates.
Mission and Philosophy
College Mission Statement: "The College prepares students for productive and creative lives of service in a rapidly changing world. We teach students to think, write, and speak clearly and critically, so they can seek truth about God, themselves, and society, and contribute to their families, communities, businesses, and professions."