Mary Pappert School of Music
Founded in 1926, the Mary Pappert School of Music has enjoyed a rich tradition of education professional musicians for leadership roles. The earliest course of study led to the Bachelor of Music degree; the Bachelor of Science in Music education program was added four years later; the first graduate degree was awarded in 1928. On April 29, 1967, the present music building was dedicated. On this occasion Van Cliburn was awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Music degree. The School of Music has been fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music since 1966.
The Mary Pappert School of Music is a recognized national leader in performance, music education, music therapy, music technology, and sacred music. With collegiate enrollment numbering 350 students, 500 non-credit music students studying in the City Music Center, a Summer Session that enrolls over 500 students, and more than 200 public concerts each year, the Mary Pappert School of Music plays an important role in the intellectual and cultural life of the region.
Duquesne University recognizes the changes that technology is brining to the world of music, with applications of the latest advances in computers and electronic instruments to the concert hall, the recording studio, and the music classroom. State-of-the-art electronic music labs, learning sources and recording facilities benefit all students within the school, and technology courses are available in every degree program.
Today, the Graduate Division continues to add to the numbers of prominent professionals in the world of music by offering degrees in Performance, Music Education, Music Technology, Sacred Music and the Artist Diploma in Performance.
The Mary Pappert School of Music provides musical education that connects the broad spectrum of historical and current practices; and in promoting the relationship between theory and practice, prepares professionals who will be the leaders in the musical culture of the 21st century.