Duquesne University first opened its doors as the Pittsburgh Catholic College of the Holy Ghost in October 1878 with an enrollment of 40 students and a faculty of seven. From a humble original location on Wylie Avenue in the City’s Uptown section to its present beautifully self-contained campus, Duquesne provides a hilltop vista overlooking one of the nation’s most attractive cities.
Today Duquesne University is a progressive educational facility which has more than tripled from its early 12.5 acres to its present, self-enclosed 49.5-acre campus overlooking the city of Pittsburgh. Tree-lined brick walkways lead to academic buildings, living-learning centers, research and recreational facilities.
Duquesne’s academics are recognized both nationally and internationally. Every state in the Union and more than 75 countries are represented in the Duquesne family, and our mission of service drives our outreach across the country and the globe.
Duquesne’s recent growth has been tremendous with students in ten schools of study, including the McAnulty College and Graduate School of Liberal Arts (1878); and the School of Law (1911); Palumbo Donahue School of Business (1913); Mylan School of Pharmacy (1925); Mary Pappert School of Music (1926); School of Education (1929); School of Nursing (1937); John G. Rangos, Sr. School of Health Sciences (1990); Bayer School of Natural and Environmental Sciences (1994) and the School of Leadership and Professional Advancement (2001). Duquesne’s ten schools offer degree programs on the baccalaureate, master’s, professional and doctoral levels.