A A Email Print Share

Immigration Info for Current Students

For F or J visa holders, what are you required to do during your stay at Duquesne University? 

  • You are required to maintain your status: This means that you must carry at least 12 credits if you are an undergraduate student, 9 credits as a graduate student and at least 4 English as a Second Language courses if you are a student in the program.
  • Maintaining status includes reporting all changes to the Office of International Programs including:  Address changes, program changes,  lengths of program changes and completion dates if programs. Students traveling outside of the country should bring their documents to the OIP for signatures on their I-20 or DS-2019 to ensure easy entry back into the country.
  •  If, for some reason, you will not be able to maintain your full-time status, you must contact the Office of International Programs for their guidance. 

Consult these website for detailed information:

What types of employment opportunities are there for international students?

  • On-Campus Employment – If you are in F-1 or J-1 student status, you are permitted to work on our campus up to 20 hours per week while school is in session or 40 hours during vacations and breaks.
  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT)– Intership opportunities open to F-1 students.  The internship must be a required part of an academic program and approved the the OIP and  your academic department to be authorized. 
  • Optional Practical Training (OPT) – Open to F-1 students who have completed their academic program.  OPT allows you to work in your field of study for 12 months following graduation. 
  • Academic Training – Open to J-1 students.  The period of employment that is related to your field of study that can coincide with your program and/or come at the end of your program. 

What is a Social Security Number and how can I get one?

  • Anyone who has obtained employment must obtain a Social Security Number: A nine-digit number that is issued by the U.S. government to its citizens and residents upon application used to track employment and taxes. Anyone who has secured employment must obtain a social security number.
  • Consult the Office of International Program for details on obtaining a Social Security Number.

Social Security Administration Home Page