When you are thinking about a Spring Break Away class and study trip, we all worry about whether students will be interested and subscribe. There is a minimum number of students needed to make the economics of these trips work (think 15-20 students), so teaching a course that appeals to a wide group of students and choosing a destination/s that is appealing makes a difference.
Here are a few things that we have learned:
- CORE classes work especially well
- General electives with wide appeal
- Courses for majors that can be open to non-majors and have NO prereqs
- Iconic destinations novice travelers dream about (e.g., Rome, Paris, etc.)
- Check out the previous Spring Break Away courses
What Kinds of Courses or Destinations Don’t Work as Well?
- A single section of a course required for majors
- A destination students have never heard of