The quality of your education as a graduate student will be enhanced if you take advantage of the academic advising services that are available to you. Consistent with the University’s mission, your advisor will help you maximize your success by providing guidance as you identify and work towards your academic and career goals. Your advisor is available by phone, email, or campus visit.
Responsibilities of your Academic Advisor…
- Understand the challenges you face as an adult learner returning to school while juggling a career, family and other responsibilities.
- Evaluate your progress and performance each semester and inform your about your performance in relation to expectations of graduate education.
- Provide encouragement to help you grow as a student and a professional.
- Ensure complete confidentiality.
- Guide you through your academic journey by monitoring and maintaining accurate academic records as you progress towards your degree completion.
- Connect you with support services that are available throughout the University.
- Provide advice on choosing and registering for courses each semester that will meet your degree requirements.
- Model and maintain professional and ethical standards of conduct at all times
- Serve as a liaison between you and the SLPA faculty.
Your Responsibilities as a Student…
- Stay connected and keep the lines of communication open. Your advisor can’t help, if they don’t know that there is a problem.
- Know the requirements of your degree and adhere to University policies and procedures.
- Work closely with your advisor as you plan your registration each semester.
- Pay attention to deadlines!
- Stay focused and do not let yourself get behind.
- Check your Duquesne email regularly. This is how we communicate all of our important announcements and information.
- Devote an appropriate amount of time and energy toward achieving academic excellence and earning your graduate degree.
- Ensure that you have a clear, concise understanding regarding policies on Academic Integrity.
- Enjoy you time as a graduate student in the School of Leadership and Professional Advancement.