Read full definition of Evacuation.
Evacuation of the University will generally fall into two categories:
- Limited evacuation of a building or designated area.
- General evacuation of the entire campus.
In general, you should plan ahead for possible evacuations. Know evacuation routes from your office or classroom and the campus.
- If the fire alarm is activated, leave the building immediately. DO NOT assume it is a false alarm.
- DO NOT return for personal items.
- DO NOT go into the restrooms.
- DO NOT use the elevators.
- Direct visitors or anyone needing assistance to stairwells and exits.
- When you are outside, check in with your floor marshal, supervisor or instructor so everyone can be accounted for.
- Make sure you have your Duquesne University identification card with you.
If the entire campus is evacuated:
- Faculty and staff should return to their homes or other safe destinations unless told otherwise.
- Students who can provide their own transportation should leave the campus and return home or to another safe destination unless told to do otherwise.