Become a STAR Interviewer
Behavior-based interview technique and STAR formula answers
Increasingly, companies are turning to behavior-based interview techniques to identify the best qualified candidate for the job.
Behavior based interviewing is
- based upon the premise that past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior
- a structured interview procedure with a particular method of questioning techniques and analysis of responses
- a method used to analyze the skills and qualities required for success in the job and identify candidates that have demonstrated these skills in past experiences
Behavior based question starters
- Tell me about a time when . . .
- Give me an example of . . .
- Describe a time when . . .
STAR formula answers
Situation or Task
Describe the situation that you were in or the task that you needed to accomplish. Be specific and provide details. Paint a vivid picture for your interviewer to create clear understanding.
Describe the action you took. Don’t tell what you would do, tell what you did. Focus on your contributions – use “I” statements, not “we” statements.
Explain the results of your action. Focus on positive outcomes and accomplishments. Share what you learned or feedback you received. Quantify your results if applicable