Students majoring in Theology engage scripture, tradition, experience, and contemporary thought in search of understanding. Students from various faith backgrounds and from many parts of the world benefit from the riches of Catholic theology and rigorous critical inquiry. An inherently interdisciplinary field, theology is an ideal complement to other liberal arts majors, but it can also complement other fields as well.
- Parish priest or minister
- Member of religious or monastic order
- Counselor or spiritual director
- Campus ministry in college
- Youth minister
Strategies: Plan to pursue further formative education, e.g., Masters or Doctorate in Theology; seminary, etc.; become involved in campus ministry; do volunteer work in the community; take leadership roles in student organizations and DUV projects; become active in parish work and organizations; conduct informational interviews with people working in ministry.
- Religious educator
- Retreat worker
- Church camp administrator
- Pre-marital education
Strategies: Become involved in parish educational programming; consider pursuing further formative education, e.g., Masters or Doctorate in Theology, seminary, etc.; become active in campus ministry; do volunteer work in the community; take leadership roles in student organizations and DUV projects; conduct informational interviews with religious educators.
- Middle or high school teacher
- Post-secondary teaching in a college a university
- Educator in missionary school
Strategies: Plan to pursue further formative education, e.g., Masters or Doctorate in Theology or Religious Studies, seminary, etc.; develop excellent research and writing habits; attend academic conferences; become involved in college campus ministry; tutor underprivileged children in the schools; consider gaining teacher certification for teaching in parish schools; work or volunteer in literacy programs.
- Writer for religious books and magazines
- Reporter for diocesan newspaper
- TV or video programming with religious media
- Editor of religious books and missals
- Free lance author
- Librarian for religious or theology holdings in university or seminar library
Strategies: Write for campus publications; intern at a diocesan newspaper; job shadow a reporter for a newspaper; volunteer in literacy programs or in the Writing Center at Duquesne; write for the Duquesne Duke.
- Development work in US or foreign country
- Social worker in church-related agency
- Administrator of social welfare organizations
- Peace and justice advocacy groups
- Fundraising for religious or humanitarian causes
- Policymaking in government
Strategies: Volunteer in peace and justice movements; intern at a humanitarian organization; conduct fundraising projects; consider a second major in political science or sociology; travel to areas of the world that reflect your humanitarian interests and causes.