Off-Campus Housing Information
Many upperclassmen choose to live in one of the Pittsburgh neighborhoods surrounding Duquesne's campus. Students find that living on their own comes with new found opportunities and responsibilities. We remind students to always be a responsible neighbor within their communities and to remember the Expectations of a Duquesne Student.
The Office of Commuter Affairs has developed very informative housing guides for students living off-campus.
For students residing in the South Side, please check out the South Side Guide.
For students residing in Mt. Washington or Uptown, please check out the Off-Campus Guide.
We encourage you to take a look at the guide, as it contains a lot of useful information.
Updating Your Local Address
IMPORTANT: If you plan on living off-campus at a location different from your permanent residence, you must provide a local address to Duquesne University.
To update your local address log into DORI and then click on Self-Service Banner. Once in Self-Service Banner, click on "Personal Information" and then "Update Addresses and Phones".
Important Information for Students
Campus Residency Policy
Students may start living off-campus beginning in their junior year. Per the Campus Residency Policy, students in their freshman or sophomore year are required to live on campus or at home with their parent/guardian. Please see the link above for more detailed information.
Housing/Apartment Renting Tips
- Does the apartment need to be painted? If so, who will do it and pay for it?
- How is the carpet/floor? Is it dirty or stained? Does it need to be cleaned before you move in and move out? Who will pay for it?
- Are the utilities (gas, light, water) included in the rent? If not, what is the average monthly cost?
- How are the windows? Do they work? Do they lock? Is there anything wrong with them?
- Does the apartment lock work properly? How many keys are there? Are you allowed to make more copies if you need to?
- Are there kitchen appliances? If so, do they work properly?
- Are there lights fixtures in the apartment. If so, are they in good condition and work properly?
- Do you have any limits on decorating the apartment (i.e. change wall paint, hang pictures, rearrange the furniture).
- Do shower and water facets work properly?
- Is there any limitation regarding number of occupants and guests?
- Is there a required security deposit? If so, what needs to be done in order to receive full refund?
- What is the garbage day and where should you put your garbage?
- Is there private parking in the building? Is it included in the rent or do you have to pay it separately? If there is no parking, where can you park?
- Is there public transportation around the building?
- Are there grocery stores around the neighborhood? Are they walking distance or do you need a car?
- Are there laundry facilities in the building? If not, where are the closest ones?
- Is there a security system in the building?
- How does the building look? Is it clean and well maintained?
- Does the Building have sprinklers? Are there fire extinguishers and smoke detectors in the hallways? Where are the closest fire exits?
- Is there a maintenance person in the building? If something happens, whom should you call?
- On-Campus Emergency: 412-396-COPS (2677)
- On-Campus Non-Emergency: 412-396-6002
- Off-Campus Emergency: 911
- Off-Campus Non-Emergency: 311 (City of Pittsburgh) or 412-255-2621 (Outside City of Pittsburgh)
- Pittsburgh Police- Zone 2 Uptown: 412-255-2827
- Pittsburgh Police- Zone 3 Mt. Washington/South Side: 412-488-8326
- Pittsburgh Fire Station- No. 24 South Side: 412-488-8348
- City Council District 3- Councilman Bruce Kraus: 412-255-2130
- Allegheny County Health Department: 412-687-2243
- Allegheny County Human Services: 412-350-6897
- Poison Information Center: 1-800-222-1222
- Bureau of Building Inspection/Code Violation: 412-255-2175
- Neighborhood Legal Services Association: 412-255-6700 or 1-866-761-6572
- D.U. Anti-Discrimination Policy & Compliance Title IX Coordinator- Director Sean Weaver: 412-396-2560
- Pittsburgh Action Against Rape (PAAR): 1-866-363-7273