University Counseling Center
The Duquesne University Counseling Center meaningfully contributes to the healing of those students who find themselves suffering from emotional distress. We open our doors, as well as our hearts, and welcome those that are both hungry and thirsting for life-giving words...words that will console, soothe, inspire, and create possibilities for well-being. We live the mission of service to others, not only as a response to our chosen occupation, but also as a vocation, a true calling that influences every aspect of what we do and hopefully impacts each and every student, faculty, and staff member we encounter.
Fundamentally, we are engaged in helping students live a revitalized existence, a life that is relatively free from the psychological and emotional entanglements that ultimately impair their ability to experience enduring happiness.
The Duquesne University Counseling Center offers free and confidential counseling services to Duquesne students.
All counseling services are personal, confidential and available as needed.
- To help you process, explore, and heal thoughts and feelings associated with sadness and worry
- To help you recover from traumatic experiences or painful memories connected with your past
- To help you better adjust to being away from home
- To enhance the quality of your relationships with others
- To help you address and cope with intense feelings and emotions that may be difficult for you to manage
- To improve your self-concept and self-esteem
- To gain valuable self-insight that has the power to positively transform the way you live
- To understand how even the most painful thoughts and feelings bring attention to those aspects of you that need care, compassion, and ultimately love.
- Discover that you are not alone in that others experience similar difficulties and may be able to give and receive help with stress management, self-concept, relationships, anxiety, grief support, body image and other life challenges.
- A one-session consultation is free to faculty and staff with a personal problem or difficulties with a student or co-worker.
- Our counselors will speak to groups/classroom settings (faculty, staff, and student groups) on topics like stress management, relationship strategies, conflict resolution, and team building. You may also contact our office regarding any workshop topic and we will be happy to explore it with you.
- Learn to decrease stress, anxiety, panic and depression through relaxation techniques learned by playing a computer game.