Choice is a top source for reviews of academic books, electronic media, and Internet resources of interest to those in higher education and is utilized by more than 35,000 librarians, faculty and those collecting and developing scholarly research.
Every January, Choice publishes a list of outstanding academic titles reviewed during the previous calendar year. The website says, “This prestigious list reflects the best in scholarly titles reviewed by Choice and brings with it the extraordinary recognition of the academic library community. The list is quite selective: it contains approximately 10 percent of some 7,000 works reviewed in Choice each year. Choice editors base their selections on the reviewer’s evaluation of the work, the editor’s knowledge of the field, and the reviewer’s record.”
Overall excellence in presentation and scholarship
- Importance relative to other literature in the field
- Distinction as a first treatment of a given subject in book or electronic format
- or uniqueness of treatment
- Value to undergraduate students
- Importance in building undergraduate library collections.