Scientific Evidence, Right to Confrontation, Examined at Forensic Friday Seminar
Amidst a Massachusetts forensic laboratory scandal involving the alleged fabrication of tens of thousands of drug test results used to convict more than 1,100 inmates over a nine-year period, Duquesne's Wecht Institute of Forensic Science and Law will explore the Constitutional confrontation clause in the context of a recent series of rulings impacting expert testimony.
This Forensic Fridays seminar, Scientific Evidence and the Right to Confrontation, will address criminal defendants' rights to confront laboratory analysts in the wake of several U.S. Supreme Court rulings on the matter.
Panelists and presenters include:
- Leo Ciaramitaro, assistant district attorney, Westmoreland County
- Jay J. Finklestein, assistant federal public defender, Western District of Pennsylvania
- Dr. Fred Fochtman, former director, Allegheny County Coroner's Office laboratory division
- Elliot Howsie, chief public defender, Allegheny County
- Laura S. Irwin, assistant U.S. attorney, Appellate Division, Western District of Pennsylvania
- The Hon. Jeffrey A. Manning, administrative judge, Criminal Division, Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas
- James Kane Record, attorney and professor of criminal justice California University of Pennsylvania.
This is the second in the four-part Forensic Fridays series presented by the Wecht Institute of Forensic Science and Law at Duquesne University.
When: Friday, Oct. 19, from 1 to 4:30 p.m.
Where: The Africa Room, Duquesne Union, Duquesne University, 600 Forbes Ave., Pittsburgh.
Information: For more information, including cost and available continuing education credits, visit www.duq.edu/forensics, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 412.396.1330.
Founded in 1878, Duquesne is consistently ranked among the nation's top Catholic universities for its award-winning faculty and tradition of academic excellence. Duquesne, a campus of nearly 9,500 graduate and undergraduate students, has been nationally recognized for its academic programs, community service and commitment to sustainability. Follow Duquesne University on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.